engine stand dimensions

jacksdad

lifelong fan
Reaction score
Hi, has anyone got a diagram showing the sizes of a an engine stand made from timber?
I saw a picture a long while ago, now I need to work on my engine again, I cannot find it, typical :mad:
Its like a double step that simply cradles the lower case, so stops the engine rolling around the floor as you try to work! :thumbsup:

here's a few shots of simple 2x4 wood engine stands.

stands (1).jpg stands (3).jpg

stands (4).jpg stands (2).jpg

note the front block is raised a bit to help keep the engine up. 8" between the side rails about 12.5" between the front and back members. 11.5" works great IF the starter motor is off.

You might consider one of these HF small movers dollies, pretty much always on sale for $7 or $8 .....

HFMoversDolly.jpg

They work well with the little angle iron stands we build but will also cradle an engine without one. They make moving the engine around the shop a piece of cake .....

MotorDolly.jpg

Ok thanks guys, I think I may make a steel one, would be worth it :thumbsup:
One thing....when is the USA going to go metric, like everyone else on the planet? I've long since forgotten how to use 17/95" and "inch and eleven eightysevenths"
Just use metric...start at 1mm and keep going, its a very good idea :laugh:

Why is that?
I'm seriously amazed that you stick with Imperial, as everything on Earth is Metric and has been for at last 40 years.
saying that, we still have doors in the 'old' sizes, and also plumbing fittings, as they still need replacing in most houses (although the doors are rapidly changing to Metric) :D

Yeah we got screwed over by luddites, dumb ass backwards manufacturers, and toady politicians way back in the 60's when there was a strong push to get it done, and it SHOULD have been changed. It still needs to change but nothing is on the radar.
Look up 2x4 metric to see how confusing it can get for some poor old carpenter!
is it a 38x89 or a 45x90 or something else in between? don't even think about plywood sizing issues.

I recall threats of the lash and floggings if not adhering to the royal decree of the king's knuckle.
Using 3 barleycorns was tolerated as a substitute.

But, my exercise pedometer is calibrated in furlongs per fortnight...

Love the replies!
Think we've drifted off topic but its my post :laugh:
Don't even start about British screw threads! Same problem as the feet and inches confusion....only 1000 times worse.
I'd love to restore a Brit bike or a Land Rover, but I don't own many tools in the sizes needed, some are the same as metric, but I'd have to start out from scratch. Thats the beauty of Metric, only 3 different thread pitch to know, and sockets spanners etc go from say 6mm to 27mm, nice and easy :thumbsup:

If it makes you feel any better I'm a cabinet maker so I end up using both systems...I'm perpetually confused and yes I think metric would make my life easier and save what mental health I have left.:banghead:

I used to watch the New Yankee Workshop, the guy made fantastic things but I couldn't keep up with him firing out measurements, saying feet, inches and fractions one after another, I just got totally lost after about one minute!
Mucho scope for making a mistake, thus throwing the whole job out:shrug:

I can completely understand that. Have similar problem watching old British movies where conversations about money are concerned. To this ol' Texan, what I hear is:

Pence - A smaller fence, without bob-ware.
Shilling - Method used by huckster used-car salesmen.
Farthing - The opposite of a near thing.
Pound - What you gotta do to a radio to get it to work.
Crown - Similar to pound, whatcha gotta do to your brother to get him to work.

Working with metal, liquid or other volumetric stuff, cooking etc. I'm a metric guy. But when it comes to working with wood and land measurement I'm still with the king.
What the hell is a hectare? (yeah I know, 100 ares or 10,000 square meters but I can't visualize that.):banghead:

roy

Out here they sell barb wire in 80-rod rolls.

So, how many do you need to fence in a hectare?

Then there's shotgun gauges, from an old brit system.

What'll that be in metric?

On the weights & measures subject in the UK:
  • We buy gas by the litre and measure consumption in miles per gallon!
  • We buy beer by the pint in a pub but its 568 millilitres in a can!
  • Speed limits are in Miles per hour
  • Distances are in Miles on the highways and carpet is in metres.
  • Horse racing is in furlongs, human racing is in meters.
  • 14psi is 1 bar and a quarter pounder is 250grams
Did someone mention farthings and shillings have gone as well as BSF, Whitworth and BSP? Damn!::wtf:

I still have Whitworth wrenches as well as A/F and Metric

So far there are still 60 minutes in an hour, 24 hours in a day and 365.25 days in a year - the EU hasn't managed to screw that up yet but I am sure they are working on it.:)

In Ontario back when they were changing to Metric, the government also was changing the temperature to Celsius and then reorganized some cities and town, for example changed County of Ontario to Regional Municipality of Durham, changed Village of Streetsville to Mississauga and so on.
For a while no one knew where they were, how fast they were going or whether to put a coat on!
I still have to translate mentally when I talk to my sons about distances in particular and will end up saying, Oh it's about a hour away, because they do not know miles.

I am an electrician and we still use imperial for measurements all the time. Conduit in the code book has finally switched but I don't know it in metric.

I don't know your weight at all in kilos though....always pounds. Sa mpg...i understand that....but not vice versa.

Same thing here. Still kind of use both.

Posted via Mobile

Back