Couple questions before making a purchase

Gato_Muerto

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hola

So Im looking at picking up this 73 tx650. 16000 miles, tires look good
comes with some parts.
the owner says "it needs a vavle job". Im not exactly sure what this means or how much it would cost, any rough ideas?

Anyways, its a 73 and from what Ive read the 447 engine is the better engine anyways,if I am to pick it up(the bike), would it be better to just swap in a 447 engine? How easily available are these 447 engines?

My last question, the bike was last registered in Iowa in '91. it is now 2015 and I would be registering it in CA. Does anyone have any info/help to offer for a situation like this?

thanks

Hi Gato and welcome,
needs a valve job is seller-speak for the engine is totally worn out
OK, an XS650 valve job involves removing the engine from the bike, removing the cylinder head and removing the valves before checking everything's condition, replacing parts as needed, lapping in the valves and putting everything back together.
Unless you are an experienced bike fixer this is a deal to walk away from.

Im not sure how it was concluded that it needed a valve job.He told me that is what his local shop told him when he took it in.

When I checked the spark plugs, they were black. But I think they were more dry looking like the "carbon fouling" image than wet like the "oil fouling" in this image http://www.jagexp.com/article/images/spark-plug-condition-chart.jpg

Pulling the engine and head doesnt sound like that big of a deal, but all the valve specific work is something im not familiar with.
what about the option of getting another engine? Would that be logical? or would that cost me in the $1000-$2000 range? Ive tried searching for engines online but havent found much

and thanks for your reply

edit: and we agreed upon $600 for it. Is that still a bad deal with the potential hassles of needing a valve job or another engine?

Like WER likes to say every old XS650 "needs" a top job, the engine is 40 years old, all the rubber is hard and brittle. rust is often present on cylinder bores and valve seats, stems. That said IMHO it's always worth a try to see if it will "wake up" and run as it is. I have reawakened dozens of XS650's and been quite happy with how they ran and worked as "around the area" bikes. There is a thread about about a "possible fix" for some "zero compression" engines. Again there are plenty of these engines that DO need the top job, an XS650 is pretty simple as far as motorcycle engines go. XS650 overhaul parts are VERY cheap and easy to find. If the bike is in decent shape for your intended use and not a rust mess $600 sounds like a good price, especially on the left coast! I you are willing to do much of your own work and enjoy it you have my permission to buy it! :wink2: If the bike is staying stock, redo the original engine. You won't find any engines that have been properly overhauled for $600. The engine that you have done is always the most satisfying to operate. There is nothing wrong with the 256 engines for standard street use.

An example.

81 engine that runs.jpg

81 engine that runs.jpg

The ONLY things I did were; put in a battery, jumpered the ignition switch, pushed the start button and engine started and ran on a couple shots of carb cleaner!!! no odd noises or smoking, it has 153, 156 compression. Oil was thick and clean. I suspect it has not always been treated with tender loving care..... Bike was dragged out of a field in North Dakota. Probably been a decade or two since it last ran.

If you are looking for a cheap old bike, you have found it. If you are looking for something that you will be riding in a week or two for the cost of a "tune up" and safety certification, this is not it.
Depending on your experience working on motorcycles and your support at home, maybe the solution is to save more money and buy a runner.
Been there, done that, couldn't afford the t-shirt.

Look on the engine case in front see what # is there if it starts with s it will be a256 motor .......My 73 has a 256 motor ,

hooser yes it is a 73 with a 256, i thought it was implied that i knew when i mentioned it was a 73 and i was wondering about swapping in a 447 engine, but thanks. And I did check, the engine # matched the VIN

I am looking for a cheap bike, as im sure everyone is. I understand that it is a 42 year old bike. Externally, the bike looks good, this bike appears to have been garage kept.

I currently have a bike, so Im not looking for my first motorcycle expecting to have this thing running in weeks. I would hope to have it running by September or so.

My reason for wanting one of these bikes is I would like to try my hand at an older bike. I am far from a mechanic/technician though I do currently take automotive classes at the local community college, so I do have a little bit of knowledge, not much. But I do have access to a lot of tools, machinery and one person that has motorcycle mechanic experience(he refuses to touch a wrench unless hes getting paid, but will always help out guiding me if I ask him some questions).

gggGary the owner did try kicking it over yesterday and then looked startled(the look of "maybe I could sell it for more") and said it did feel like it had compression. I didnt take my compression tester with me because the ad said it needed a valve job so I didnt think I would need to even test it. Are there any "how to" threads on here for doing the valves?

And where would I go about finding parts for it? Is Mikesxs.com the only site for parts, or are there other places?

Also, does anybody have into on registering a bike from out of state into CA? The owner does have the title which isnt in his name, but is signed. The only thing is the title is from 91 so Im wondering if I will have 24 years of back fees.

If it looks good and has compression why are you hanging around talking to us? Go buy the damned thing before someone else does.
title should be no problem no fees if it has never been in the sillyfornia system. You could throw the title out and just go register it in California.
there are many parts sources 650 central is a great one.
Now go get it and post up some pics!

Yes every part of an engine overhaul is well documented in about every media you could imagine there's probably a braille version somewhere.

Cruzinimage These guys sell 256 parts, seems they sell good quality stuff and their pricing is cheaper than MikesXS. Sometimes they are out of stock it is a matter of waiting till a new batch comes in.

I sell 256 part www.hoosracing.com...Cheap is not always the best way to go when building a good reliable motor. These are old style cast piston, technology has changed. build it right and keep it maintain and you'll get years out of it.

Last edited:
Here is a thread that has information to help you make up your own mind. Read through the whole thread, good quality comparison pics and 1st hand experiences.

I am not affiliated with the seller of these pistons, just giving a heads up that there are alternative options, and for everyday use these would be a lot better for the pocket and the quality seem to be as good if not better than MikesXS

I will send pic tomorrow if I get time of my JE, but as I mentioned a while back if I am just building a stock motor that would be the way I would go , but with mikesxs . If I building a performance motor which is what I mostly do. Go with JE.
I support Mikesxs becasue they have been around even though different owners, then I dealt with years ago, and they have helped keep the 650's going. It is also why I sell Shell performance parts. Pistons,Pipes,cam, etc. He was the master in my opinion and a friend. the more others get in the pie is getting smaller and smaller. So I like to support the ones that got us here. I still have an original Mikesxs AND Shell catalogs.
I read the link you sent. Still the quality is not there. Thanks,

Caution Hijack.

I wasn't going to go into this hooser............

Mikes has raised prices 10-12% across the board since buying out the business from Mike L. Probably had to as they are the retailer now and not a wholesaler as Mike L was.

Doesn't account for a price rise of 33% for their Standard Tanks, 25% for their petcocks to fit the Standard Tank. The Oil filter/cooler has gone up 100%. Postage to Australia is a min of $47.00.

I just done a costing of a set of Standard, (same price for oversize up to 4th over), Pistons/pins/clips and rings.
MikedsXS
US $246.00, shipped to Australia.

Cruzinimage,
1 Set, (2 of), of Pistons/pins/clips and rings.
US $102.50 Shipped, to Austalia.

706 Bigbore kit + gasket US $145.60 Shiped to Australia.

As per the thread i linked to and the Quality of the, (out of date), forged pistons, (as are MikesXS), I know where my next set of pistons are coming from.

Cruzinimzge supply all Japanese manufacturers and most of the older bikes. I have an XS850 and they have piston kits for US $155.00. 3 pistons/pins/clips and rings.

They have such a range, and i see they are now offering fork tubes for some models so i presume they are expanding their parts inventory, i can't see them going out of business especially when the XS phase thins out, because they aren't relying on such a narrow selling base.

I appreciate what Mike L done for the XS community, (me really and my bikes), but in no way do i have any love or respect for the new owners, just as they don't have any for me.

No brain er for me....................

I see you point , they have to keep the lights on and so do you.
Ok for the stock pistons Now what about the 700 pistons which I sell. I talk quality and you buy cheap ...
The one pic. is a 540 that the sell nice!. Trust me when I say I am not making a fortune on these.
Then lets talk shipping... I can ship to you for $64.00 a set of pistons. That is cost. USPS Med. flat rate. maybe I need a dealer down there.

Attachments

• 1204141512.jpg
    1204141512.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 140
  • 1204141514.jpg
    1204141514.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 1204141517.jpg
    1204141517.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 140
  • 1204141519.jpg
    1204141519.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 145
  • 1204141522.jpg
    1204141522.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 142
I just recently brought a NY bike in to CA so my advice is to bring the signed title, and a bill of sale, make an appointment, you will need the bike there and it will need to have the engine, VIN and odometer numbers readable from the ground (they refuse to climb in a truck bed to inspect the bike). They should start by processing the transfer to your name, then do the VIN verification, then with that form completed they can give you a plate and Mail your new title to you. Everything was about $150 and that was including a year's registration fee.

Ok for the stock pistons Now what about the 700 pistons which I sell. I talk quality and you buy cheap ...
The one pic. is a 540 that the sell nice!. Trust me when I say I am not making a fortune on these.
Then lets talk shipping... I can ship to you for $64.00 a set of pistons. That is cost. USPS Med. flat rate. maybe I need a dealer down there.

Think you have the wrong end of the stick. I am not interested in your pistons and i haven't, (except for post 17), been posting for or to you. Purely information for the OP and to give him have some other alternative. Not every one wants to spend top $ on parts when there is a cheaper alternative that has been used, and by all accounts good enough to keep an XS650 running for years.

Back