Installing nylon screws in stator

bennecc

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm afraid I'm about to reveal just how ignorant I am with electrics.

I have an older model ('72 I think) stator which I want to use to replace the original '81 model stator. I also have the correct sized nylon screws. There are 4 screws on the brush holder; I gather that the top 2 and the bottom right are to be replaced with the nylon.

I didn't realize until tonight that the brushes are different. Since I am isolating that inner brush I am hoping that I can just use my new later model brushes. Can anyone confirm this? Obviously it would be pretty straightforward to modify the brush, but it'd be nice to just pop it in.

The way I understand it, I need to provide power to the grounded (now isolated) brush. Can I just use the same braided black wire on the brush and connect the other end to the brown wire from the regulator (stock '81 reg)?? I guess I'm not sure if it somehow would still be grounded, considering 1)its hard to see amongst all the wires and windings, and 2)i'm a bit of a moron with electrics. It sure would be simple if I could use it since its already in the harness and its got the right connectors.

Thanks for the help!

bennecc,

Here is a pic of the nylon screws:

nylonscrews2.jpg

You cannot use your later model brushes as the little metal bracket that holds them in place is different. However, you can unsolder the brush from the bracket and solder it to the earlier model bracket. I also go through the trouble of drilling a small hole in the bracket and threading the wire from the brush through the hole from the correct side to make it easier to install the brush and remove it later to inspect / clean it.

The black wire from the formerly grounded brush goes to another ground buried in the wiring harness, but you can cut the wire on the frame side of the plug / connector that has all of the alternator wires in it, and connect your brown wire switched +12 there, on the other side of the connector / plug.

The plug / connector is located just behind the lower part of the engine. Follow the bundle of wires that exits the stator past all that oil from the chain.

Thanks Pete! I put in the nylon screws, switched my brush over to the older bracket, and used the black wire which I put in the slot of the connector so that it matches up with the positive brown wire. Success!

I have to ask, what ignition are you using? The 81 had the TCI. It needs something the 79 and before stators don't have. A place to mount the pickup.

Back