PMA overheating?

perkinja

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I purchased a HHB PMA kit a little over a year back and wired it up per his instructions, haven't had an electrical problem till now. I was riding along the highway and my bike cuts off and loses all power so i quickly have to make it from the left lane to the right without getting crushed by traffic and at first i thought maybe a ground shook loose.

Well after looking through everything i finally get to the male/female connector that comes with hughs PMA kit and the thing is just burnt to a crisp. I just got the thing out of the truck back home and on his website he says not to get rid of those connectors due to warranty issues but i'm pretty sure my warranty is gone by now.

Why would the connector there overheat like that and cause the connector to burn out and just destroy itself? and can i just cut the wires off and use a standard butt connector etc to reconnect them?

I'm going off memory, but I think other people were having a similar issue awhile back. Check the soldered connections on the stator, one of them may have come loose.

On a PMA I got in the UK two of the soldered stator wires at the stator came apart, probably cheap Chinese S**T, got the whole thing replaced under warranty with an electrix world system.

Why would the connector there overheat like that and cause the connector to burn out and just destroy itself? and can i just cut the wires off and use a standard butt connector etc to reconnect them?

It will be because of a poor connection within the block, either due to the male/ female parts mot mating correctly or a bad crimp or soldered joint. This will allow arcing which leads to heat which intercourses the connector.

The connector is there for convenience should you need to remove the stator or motor.
Unless you plan to do this on a regular basis then there is not reason why you shouldn't make a soldered joint between the wires.

Back