Rear Shocks – Again

Dave48

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed many times before, but one more time please.
I have an 80 XS and I want longer shocks on the rear. I'm building a cafe style bike. The original shocks appear to be about 11.5"long. Any suggestions on length and spring rate?
Dave

I went with a 13.5" progressive 12 series (from 650 Central) on my build and they are perfect, but I started with a '79 Special (12.5" stock).

Hi Dave,

I went with Hagon shocks from Dave Quinn Motorcycles. They were very helpful in recommending spring weights for my intended application and the price was good, even shipping to Australia. I gave them a call and discussed my plans. Hagon have a range of shock lengths and spring weights so you can pick what suits you.

From memory, I got 340mm length rear shocks, slightly longer than stock for my 1980 Special and 18 kg/cm springs.

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.
https://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/

Phil

I'm running a set of 7610 Koni's on my SG('80 Special). Best ride I've EVER had on a bike.

I had bought these Konis for a BSA A75 project in the early '90's. Well that project didn't last long after the engine grenaded when the middle rod let loose. Later I put them on a couple KZ 650 projects that didn't go anywhere. Finally I got the SG in '10 on the road for a couple years. The SG's engine needed some attention and so I took her off the road and rebuilt her engine and did some mods to the frame systems. "Improveing my SG" writeup. The old shocks(factory originals) were wore out, so the Koni's were made to fit. They may be 20 yrs old but pratictly new. No more bouncing after every bump. Tire stays on the road. Just great shocks. I'm sure the Ikons are just as good if they are made to the same standards of the Koni's.

I agree with you guys 100% about the Koni/Ikon shocks. I bought a pair for my Laverda 1000 last year (2014) for over $400 including shipping. There great shocks and I love them, but I don't want to spend that much for the XS. I think the Progressive Series 12 is more my price range.
Dave

Dave, the first aftermarket shocks I mounted on an XS650 were the Progressive Series 12 gas shocks; a big improvement over OE. The next shocks were Konis--big improvement over Progressive. The shocks I ride on now are custom built Works Performance alloy body--big improvement over Koni. Check the Hagon 2810, it's a gas shock with adjustable damping. At $329/pr., it looks like a lot of bang for the buck. YSS also has some good items.

I've got the progressive's. I am very happy with the ride and handling. This with bronze bushings made a completely different bike. One thing, one leaked after a short order. I tried getting in touch with anyone at Progressive...forget it. Lucky for Bike Bandit. They took care of it and I got a new pair.

Does anyone know the stock length, eye to eye, of the 72 XS2 rear shocks? I tossed the originals back in 79. Put Konis on but they were a 1/2 to 1/4 inch shorter. The offset eyes on the bottom of the Konis allowed the continued use of the chain guard. The shortness was felt in the handling. All nimbleness disappeared.
Anyway, I put some Chinese gas shocks on it that I think are longer than stock or close to it and the handling is much better.
Know I'm looking for something closer to the stock look, but the original length escapes me. Anybody know the length? Or does anyone have the stock 72's that can be measured. All replies will be much appreciated.

By the way, I went to the Iron horse with Jetmechmarty on Friday. It was a fun ride just getting there. Had to leave that night due to work on Saturday. And just when things were getting good. Well, next year!

Hmmmmm! I don't doubt you, but for some reason the numbers stuck in my head when I bought the Koni's, 30 years ago, 12-1/4" and 12-1/2" come to mind. Would you, or anyone out there, know where I could find a spec sheet that gives the shock dimensions?
You know, I've saved all the old parts, even from back then, everything except the old shocks and the inner headlight ring. The shocks I chucked, but the ring? I dunno. I think I chucked somewhere near the Jersey shore.

Wow, fell out? Those things are really stuck in there good.
XS1B-Head-Bottom.jpg
That external equalizer, balance tube thing was strictly XS1-XS1B.
Discontinued starting 1972 XS2. No more equalizers.

However, starting 1972 XS2, the carbs were modified, use just one choke on the left carb, with what would look like an equalizer tube connecting that choke to the right carb.

Does anyone know the stock length, eye to eye, of the 72 XS2 rear shocks? I tossed the originals back in 79. Put Konis on but they were a 1/2 to 1/4 inch shorter. The offset eyes on the bottom of the Konis allowed the continued use of the chain guard. The shortness was felt in the handling. All nimbleness disappeared.
Anyway, I put some Chinese gas shocks on it that I think are longer than stock or close to it and the handling is much better.
Know I'm looking for something closer to the stock look, but the original length escapes me. Anybody know the length? Or does anyone have the stock 72's that can be measured. All replies will be much appreciated.

By the way, I went to the Iron horse with Jetmechmarty on Friday. It was a fun ride just getting there. Had to leave that night due to work on Saturday. And just when things were getting good. Well, next year!
https://www.heidentuning.com/xs650-...ck-absorber-xs1-xs1b-1970-71-type-detail.html
Heiden Tuning sells reproduction XS1-XS1B shocks that are listed as 310mm long. I assume that is measured center-of-eye to center-of-eye. 310mm is just a bit less than 12-1/4".

Back