clutch alignment marks

emzdogz

Aunty Em
Reaction score
When I changed out the clutch on this project bike, several years ago when I used to work on it, I neglected to to make sure that mark was visible through that little hole, to make sure pressure plate was lined up correctly.
I vaguely remember the clutch never working as it should. Close but no cigar. It was like "squishy" feeling.
So today, I pulled that right side cover and sure enough, nothing is visible through that little hole. So I need to loosen the screws that hold the springs, reposition the pressure plate and re-install the screws.
(I remember it being really hard, to smash the springs down hard enough before, to get them screwed in.)

Anyway, is the remedy as simple as I just described it? The manual I have (Haynes) plus a .pdf of factory manual discuss this more in terms of replacing/reinstalling the entire assembly, rather than just repositioning that pressure plate relative to the inner hub.

Is it as simple as I'm thinking? unscrew, pull pressure plate off and put back on in correct position (with mark showing through hole) and then put screws back in?

I forget what happens when this is unscrewed - if the whole clutch basket wants to pop off too, or what.

I'm glad I remembered this, before getting the rest of the project finished and then having the clutch not work. Not sure why I neglected to do this (make sure mark lined up with hole) in the first place, as I did work from the manual, as I recall.

thanks!

Last edited:
Yep you got it.. Just unscrew each screw and remove the springs and the pressure plate will come off. Nothing else should come with it. The only thing that might, would be the thing in the center that presses against the pressure plate or the plates themselves. But I doubt they'll come out. Easy peasy.

Yep you got it.. Just unscrew each screw and remove the springs and the pressure plate will come off. Nothing else should come with it. The only thing that might, would be the thing in the center that presses against the pressure plate or the plates themselves. But I doubt they'll come out. Easy peasy.

Thanks, Travis!
:)

Back