Weird Clutch Issue

geeskeet

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone,

I'm having a weird clutch issue at the moment. I've since replaced the clutch springs along with new friction plates. The problem I was trying to resolve was a hard to shift, false neutral between what felt like every gear and slipping at high RPMs. Now that I've replaced the plates and springs I think I've resolved the slipping and hard shifting, but I still have the false neutral. Now I have an issue where it seems I have to click up twice to upshift, if not I'll find that false neutral. I know about the dogs(?) I think they're called inside the case, but I'm trying to avoid opening the engine if I can, if I go that route I'll just take the engine out and rebuilt the whole thing.

Any ideas on what might be the culprit? The only thing I haven't tried is adjusting that star lever thing behind the clutch basket, I'll take the side cover off again if I have to but my garage floor already has a nice coating of oil on it and I'm not sure it can take much more.

Well, making sure the star is set correctly and it's springs are good would be a step before chasing dogs.
Clutches and shifting can be a fiddley affair with making sure the washers and bearings are in the right order, the clutch fibers are correct for the year along with the steel plates (cut side in or out?), the fingers on the basket, the engine oil being used, the springs (too stiff, too loose?), the worm, basket springs intact, push rod(s), cable, perch, overall adjustment and then still to be able to find how to sneak it into neutral and when. I'm sure I've missed something......

The star may not be adjustable, but the arm on the shift shaft which engages the pins is. As I recall, the adjustment is made with the "elliptical screw." This is commonly referred to as "centering the star wheel."
You also need to make sure that the tiny spring that goes between the the stopper lever and plate (90506-10022-00) is intact.

The star may not be adjustable, but the arm on the shift shaft which engages the pins is. As I recall, the adjustment is made with the "elliptical screw." This is commonly referred to as "centering the star wheel."
You also need to make sure that the tiny spring that goes between the the stopper lever and plate (90506-10022-00) is intact.
Yes, but as I said, the star is not adjustable. But thanks for the lesson on the internal workings of the engine, I often wondered what went on in there.

Grow a thicker skin. My intention was not to disrespect you. What I said was for the original poster's benefit, and anyone else (except you, of course, you know it all) who may read this thread now or in the future.
The star thing, as you put it is non adjustable. It simply holds the pins in place
Your post, on the other hand, was unhelpful.

Grow a thicker skin. My intention was not to disrespect you. What I said was for the original poster's benefit, and anyone else (except you, of course, you know it all) who may read this thread now or in the future.

Your post, on the other hand, was unhelpful.
For someone who doesn't want to disrespect, you do a pretty good job of it. Nope, I don't know it all, maybe that's why I don't call myself a 'motorcychologists'.
I merely pointed out that the star was not adjustable.

Yes, but as I said, the star is not adjustable. But thanks for the lesson on the internal workings of the engine, I often wondered what went on in there.
Playing silly semantics games are we? Seriously?
Yes, the star in itself isn't adjustable, but it is part of an adjustable mechanism. Seriously, only an ol' crotchety coot would try and argue semantics when it was pretty obvious what was meant.

Ever adjust the valves on your bike? You sure? From what I remember, a valve is generally made of solid steel, save for the sodium inside the stem. In actual fact, you can't do fuckall to an installed valve. It's a solid chunk o' metal with nary an adjustment screw in sight. You can however, loosen nuts and turn screws to set the clearances of the valve mechanism.... commonly referred to as "adjusting the valves."

You sometimes come up with some good answers Togl.... but most times you're just bein' a contrary dick who feigns indigitation when called out for bein' a dick.

Simple really, don't be a dick.

Back