Mike's PCV Valve ?

I would go buy a power brake check valve from the auto store. Works the same and is a buck or two. Search, " what to do with the breather tube" and a thread will pop up about it.

Is this is the same as a PVC check valve? Because the brake check valve no one seems to have in stock. The PVC ones are easily available.

Did you check the Help section of your auto parts store?

I think the barbs are different diameters between the brake check vs a PCV valve.

This is what I have.
PowerBrakeCheckValve.jpg

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5794&highlight=oil+breather

We want to let air in but not out, right? I've been thinking of doing this as well. Right now I have the shortened breather tube with just a breather filter on it.

You want to let the air out, but don't want the engine to suck crap back into it. When the air goes out the pressure opens the valve, then when it stops the valve closes. Otherwise dirt and crap would get sucked into the engine. It helps maintain, basically, a consistent pressure inside.

Glad I asked as I would have put it in backward. Or at least intended to. Who knows, maybe I would have put it on "wrong" in my own mind and got it right in reality. There's a situation where two wrongs make a right. :laugh:

There is a down spout on it. I put it over the air cleaner so it gets sucked back into the engine.

BreatherInstalled.jpg

These are 5twins pics, but I have the same system. Works great.

I even asked the support guys for a brake check valve and just got some weird looks until he found something in a book. The HELP section did not have a brake check valve.

Ya. I had the little filter on the end of the hose. It kept falling off and getting dirty, so I switched to what 5twins did in the thread I linked. The filter let's air out and back in, but the filter grabs the gunk before being sucked back in. The valve just stops all inward flow all together and maintains a consistent internal pressure. Having the correct pressure also helps to let the seals work better, less leaks, apparently. I didn't have any leaks, but I can understand this.

Yeah I just did some more reading about it. I ended up adding some smaller tubing to the end of the breather filter that fit into the main tube coming off of the breather assembly which I then zip tied to make it stay on. Anyways I like the idea of the pcv and might give it a go. Thanks for the response littlebill.

Hi all, just found this thread...so, here's my question regarding the breather pipe on my '81 SH...

How it works (I think):
Air from the engine comes out through the breather hose, then splits to the air boxes on the left and right side (running stock air boxes). Air/oil mist, etc gets recycled back through the filters into carbs.

Questions:
1. If I put in the solution above, do I need to cap-off on the air boxes where the breather pipes connect to them? I'm assuming yes so that excessive dirt/grime isn't sucked in the air filter.
2. I imagine since I don't have exposed 'pods' that I could just secure the balance pipe/spring to the most convenient place to rid of the oil mist/air?

As usual...thanks!

This check valve is something you do if you've removed your airbox and switched to pods. You don't need it if you still have the stock set-up.

Back