CAN I USE THIS OIL SEAL?

v8-914

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently bought a engine gasket set and it came with these seals. They don't have the raised bead around the outside.
I tried re-ordering them from Mike's but they came in the same way.
Does anybody have any experience with them? Can they be used for Counter Shaft and Crank seals?

Attachments

• seals.jpg
    seals.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 30
The arrow does indeed make it a directional seal. See the little angled ribs inside the inner lip? Those are there to direct oil back to the inside of the seal, away from the outer lip. You'll always want to follow that arrow direction for rotation or you'll risk leaking oil.

As far as the rib around the edge, just about all aftermarket seals omit this rib. The rib sit's in a notch in the case halves. It's extremely hard/impossible to fit those without disassembling the cases. for replacement seals, you want the ones without the outer raised rib.

EDIT: some aftermarkets come with the ribs... but they're much smaller than the OEM's, for the reason I stated. They can be a bitch too, but they're doable.

Great !! that is exactly the information that I needed to hear. The arrows are a non-issue as they will only fit one way. Also, I checked the rotation to be sure.
Oh, one more thing. The new seals do not have the arrows, only the original seals.

Last edited:
The raised bead around the outside is nothing as the lip is still supported by the outer section. Why the original has a direction arrow is anybody's guess, for a seal that doesn't make sense. Bottom line though: If the seals you bought were for an XS650, then they are for an XS650.

Back