Bent clutch push rod - Worn out housing

Qwervo

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, already posted this in the XCS400 forum but though you might be able to help me as well, as these parts are pretty similar in the xs650. I own an XS400 L Maxim 1984.

I've been living with a manageable oil leak for the past 6000 miles, until I decided to investigate it. The leak is coming from the clutch push rod seal, what doesn't surprise me as the push rod looks to be bended. You can see how it wobbles while spinning in this video:

I took out the seal and discovered the bent push rod has caused the housing to worn out, making the whole system even more unstable, and more leak prone:

1709109802847.png

I have ordered a new push rod I've found on eBay, plus a couple of seals (just in case I ruin the first one), but I'm considerably worried about that worn out housing. Any ideas on how I could fix this? Would a gasket sealant help when mounting the new seal back?

Extra: I've been trying to pull the push rod out but it doesn't want to come out. Any way to take it out without pushing it from the other side? (I have the full piece rod version instead of the 2 pieces + ball bearing)

The goal is to put everything back together getting rid of the oil leak as much as possible. Any advice or tips appreciated from this experts community! :bow2:

Thanks

Don't know about this machine In a parts list somewhere there is a picture of what parts are in there
And how it is built
If you roll the push rod on a glass surface You can see how bent it is
Guessing a bushing of some sort pressed in there .Not sliding on the aluminium only
Please post a picture if you got one from a manual or parts list.

Hi Jan, thanks for your reply. Here's the diagram for this section. The push rod is number 18.

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 09.34.28.png

Please provide the picture of the other side " Northwest " of 19
The rod 18 is hitting something not coming out on the Video
Not seen on the Picture
Nor is the Seal there on the picture

I have ordered a new push rod I've found on eBay,

On that you can see if it has the same diameter all the way or any circlip

Here is the full diagram picture, plus a link in case it helps

yamaha-xs400-1982-maxim-usa-clutch_bigyau0049c-4_6562.gif

On that you can see if it has the same diameter all the way or any circlip
Here is a photo of the part I ordered. Has not arrived yet, but I can tell it seems to have the same diameter all the way back (just excluding the front tip that goes into the clutch worm system)
s-l1600.jpg

I am a bit busy right now have to work on a couple of bicycles
And write some legal Documents tonight
Need to think it over so I don't give wrong advice.
What the reason can be not coming out the last bit
Perhaps the USA people wake up and knows it

What is hitting at the last bit on a same diameter rod -- Bearing 20 ??
Rod Coming out on the other side ?
For Yamaha there would be service manuals on line describing it or Haynes handbook

Seeing as the push rod appears to be bent, I wonder if it may also be mushroomed on the end. That may prevent it from sliding through the push rod bushing. Although a bushing isn't shown on the diagram above, I'll bet there is one on the bike. I haven't found any diagram that does show the bushing. I've looked at the Xs650 clutch, case, and transmission diagrams, and none of them show the bushing or it's part number, yet it's there on the bike. I know this is a XS400J, but maybe it's the same situation.

Solved the mystery! Finally drained the oil and opened the case on the right side, removed the clutch pressure plate to push the ball bearing and the rod from the other side. It took me some gentle hits with a rubber hammer to get it out through the other side, and surprise surprise, here’s how the rod looks:

Here's the rod tail, and the reason why it wouldn't come out just by pulling it.

IMG_0295.jpg

The rod is not only bent, but has been frankesteined! Looks like that tail has been welded to the end of the rod so it has the appropriate length. Damn I understand now why my clutch has never functioned smoothly. A new push rod should be arriving tomorrow.

I am also quite intrigued by the bushing situation. My bike clearly doesn't have one right now, but I wonder if getting one would help to keep everything neat and mitigate the movement of the rod within the shaft. As it doesn't show up in the parts diagrams I have no clue where to look for one.

Last edited:
Installation of bushing would certainly help but the question is how to install one without complete engine disassembly for machining. Perhaps the “missing” bushing is the same dimensions as the XS piece? The place to start looking is comparing the diameters of the pushrod. Since the rod is out, can you measure the ID of the hole in the crankcase? If you can’t get a caliper in there, try the shanks of different drill bits to guesstimate the diameter. If it’s the same as an XS650 and the hole is a bit oversize because of the wobbly rod, the bushing might be held in place with a retaining compound.

Hi folks, already posted this in the XCS400 forum but though you might be able to help me as well, as these parts are pretty similar in the xs650. I own an XS400 L Maxim 1984.

I've been living with a manageable oil leak for the past 6000 miles, until I decided to investigate it. The leak is coming from the clutch push rod seal, what doesn't surprise me as the push rod looks to be bended. You can see how it wobbles while spinning in this video:

I took out the seal and discovered the bent push rod has caused the housing to worn out, making the whole system even more unstable, and more leak prone:

View attachment 262688

I have ordered a new push rod I've found on eBay, plus a couple of seals (just in case I ruin the first one), but I'm considerably worried about that worn out housing. Any ideas on how I could fix this? Would a gasket sealant help when mounting the new seal back?

Extra: I've been trying to pull the push rod out but it doesn't want to come out. Any way to take it out without pushing it from the other side? (I have the full piece rod version instead of the 2 pieces + ball bearing)

The goal is to put everything back together getting rid of the oil leak as much as possible. Any advice or tips appreciated from this experts community! :bow2:

Thanks
hi.did u ever get the bushing changed🤔

I know nothing about the XS400 but the design seen here is very similar to the XS650.
:twocents: The bushing is not a big deal with the one piece rod. When properly assembled and adjusted the rod is supported at the ends, the clutch pressure plate, and the worm gear via the ball bearing. The bushing is kinda of a fail safe not primary support. Part of why the proper free play adjustment is so important on both this and the XS650.

Back