Clutch push-rod seal

Squishman

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My new-to-me XS has an oil leak. It is just a drop or two every so often. The seller seems honest as the day is long and told me that that was new. It wasn't doing that until yesterday, the day I came to look at it. After he started looking, he assured me that it is likely the clutch push-rod seal, or possible the primary drive seal. Either one, I can handle. So, where do you guys find those parts and a part number pdf-like view would be nice. I am super green around this bike, so bear with me! It has been 24 years since I built up one of my RZ's so I don't know where the best place to buy Yamaha parts are on the interwebs, besides the obvious places.

My new-to-me XS has an oil leak. It is just a drop or two every so often. The seller seems honest as the day is long and told me that that was new. It wasn't doing that until yesterday, the day I came to look at it. After he started looking, he assured me that it is likely the clutch push-rod seal, or possible the primary drive seal. Either one, I can handle. So, where do you guys find those parts and a part number pdf-like view would be nice. I am super green around this bike, so bear with me! It has been 24 years since I built up one of my RZ's so I don't know where the best place to buy Yamaha parts are on the interwebs, besides the obvious places. get the engine warm .take off the cover.give that area a good clean with degrease.you will see where its coming from.
might be the neutral switch o ring that's shot or the 3 screws that hold it in place needing tightening.
check the wires coming from the stator ,
the grommet that holds the wires in place is prone to leak.ive changed all the seals and this is where its leaking from my bike.
will tackle it soon.u can't buy the grommet on its own and have to buy the stator. I'm going to try wrapping a piece of tubing around the grommet and button it bk together.

might be the neutral switch o ring that's shot or the 3 screws that hold it in place needing tightening.
check the wires coming from the stator ,
the grommet that holds the wires in place is prone to leak.ive changed all the seals and this is where its leaking from my bike.
will tackle it soon.u can't buy the grommet on its own and have to buy the stator. I'm going to try wrapping a piece of tubing around the grommet and button it bk together.
Thx for that info. He did install a new alternator stator last year. I need to see wehere this stuff is. The push-rod seal, yeah, I know where that is. But not what you mentioned yet. I thought the neutral switch was that button looking thing on the top of the case. Is that not it? I was under the impression that that is a cover to remove expsose the contacts, but that was just a guess. I will get a Clymers manual (if they are still available) or some such. Even though half of the stuff won't apply to my bike any more.

Thx for that info. He did install a new alternator stator last year. I need to see wehere this stuff is. The push-rod seal, yeah, I know where that is. But not what you mentioned yet. I thought the neutral switch was that button looking thing on the top of the case. Is that not it? I was under the impression that that is a cover to remove expsose the contacts, but that was just a guess. I will get a Clymers manual (if they are still available) or some such. Even though half of the stuff won't apply to my bike any more.
hi there .I have the xs400.so the position of the neutral switch might be different. the clutch rod seal isn't hard to change.make sure u get the proper seal.the original seal has a small rib on the outer edge and this fits into a groove.i got mine out with a small flat headed screw driver put the new one in with a firm press I used my thumb
my oil leak is defo coming from the stator wires.its not bad just a smear on the tip of my finger I'm going to try sealing it from the outside with oil resistant rtv
your first step is to get it super clean.

hi there .I have the xs400.so the position of the neutral switch might be different. the clutch rod seal isn't hard to change.make sure u get the proper seal.the original seal has a small rib on the outer edge and this fits into a groove.i got mine out with a small flat headed screw driver put the new one in with a firm press I used my thumb
my oil leak is defo coming from the stator wires.its not bad just a smear on the tip of my finger I'm going to try sealing it from the outside with oil resistant rtv
your first step is to get it super clean.
that button thing u mentioned. that's not the neutral switch. u will see it when u take the cover off.I think there's a yellow or blue wire coming from it.

Parts for the XS650 are available from many sources.
For individual parts try EBay; shipping might be cheaper.
MikesXS has a lot of the parts we use; shipping can be more expensive.
YamahaXS650.com often has great prices.

Here is a seal kit on EBay:
New Engine Oil Seal Seals Kit Set for Yamaha XS1 Xs2 XS 650 1 2 XS-1 XS-2

Brand New
$14.99
Free shipping
486 sold
1710689789944.png

It is a 7 pc engine oil seal kit that includes both Crank seals, primary drive (sprocket) shaft seal, shift shaft seal, clutch pushrod seal and kicker shaft seal.

Here is a seal kit on EBay:​

Brand New
$14.99
Free shipping
486 sold
View attachment 264182
It is a 7 pc engine oil seal kit that includes both Crank seals, primary drive (sprocket) shaft seal, shift shaft seal, clutch pushrod seal and kicker shaft seal.
Thx! The guy who built my bike used Mike's XS.

Here is a seal kit on EBay:​

Brand New
$14.99
Free shipping
486 sold
View attachment 264182
I just ordered this kit. But of course it only has one push-rod seal! So I asked him for a second one and if he could send me an invoice for the added part. If not, I wil understand of course. I am throwing a monkey wrench into his process! Although... I haven't taken the cover off yet! Cart before the horse I guess.

Back