Clutch push rod oil seal

PeteP275

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone, sorry about the constant questions. I have seen 2 ways ro replace this seal, one is to split the casings. The other is to use a dremel to clean up the hole and push the new one in. Does that actually work? Thanks Pete

No need to split the cases. Just de-bur the sharp edge after you pull the old one and before you pop in the new one. You don't need to go crazy, just enough so it doesn't cut the new seal as you drive it in. If you haven't already got your replacement seal, many suggest ordering a couple as they are easy to booger up on install. I haven't had any issues yet, but I have spares on hand in case I do.

Once I cleaned that sharp edge off I was able to push the new seal in by hand. I used some grease of course but I’ve done this on several bikes and it’s never been a problem.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, sorry about the constant questions.

That’s how you learn, and it’s also the real beauty of this forum. Average guys learning how to do things they’ve never done before. There is a deep pool of knowledge and helpful folks here.

This is a deburring tool, in case you’ve never seen one,
2E4CBD57-E1A6-4B04-80C1-D9B127812E7C.jpeg
You can pick them up, most places that sell tools or online. And here is a super short video of one being used.
Its not all that hard to replace the clutch seals, everybody has to do it sooner or later.

I used a dremel with a coned grinding stone for mine. Just be sure to pack the hole with some wadding and grease to keep the metal out of the crankcase.

Just remove the sharp edge of the hole so it won't scrape the edge of the seal off. Doesn't take much. Use blade, screwdriver, whatever. One thing, note how far in the old seal goes before you remove it. It's possible to push the new seal in a lot deeper than that, which you don't want... BTDT

FWIW, you mentioned splitting the case halves. It's possible to replace all the seals without splitting the cases. Lots of how-to videos to go by.

Back