Understanding oil flow in head/rocker area - how does it work ?

LTGTR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I do not understand where the oil goes and the associated parts fit in, in the head and rocker box area.
I have had a good look (including my Yam Workshop Manual and Hans book) but am confused, especially the purpose of the 4 sleeves in the outboard head stud holes.
I understand the oil enters the rocker box via the front pipe to the top of the rocker box.
Whats the purpose of the 4 sleeves installed in the 4 outboard head stud holes.
Do they block the oil from escaping from the end of the rocker shafts, thus creating pressure.
If so, then how does oil enter the head stud hole nessesitating sealing washers on the 4 outboard head studs.
Where does the oil escape from the rocker shafts to return to the sump.
Because sealant is used where the surfaces meet around the head stud hole, how can oil get into the head stud hole neccesitating the sealing washers on the 4 outside head studs.
I appreciate any explaination.
Regards Ray.

"I understand the oil enters the rocker box via the front pipe to the top of the rocker box?"
Correct, it splits to the left and right cyl at the top of the rocker box

"Whats the purpose of the 4 sleeves installed in the 4 outboard head stud holes?
Do they block the oil from escaping from the end of the rocker shafts, thus creating pressure?"

The holes for the rocker arm shafts were drilled partially through the cylinder head studs. So oil pressure would run back down into the sump through the cylinder head stud holes. Those sleeves block off the stud holes so oil is forced into the rocker shafts.

"If so, then how does oil enter the head stud hole nessesitating sealing washers on the 4 outboard head studs?
There is o-rings to seal the bottom of the sleeves. The washer seals the top of them.

"Where does the oil escape from the rocker shafts to return to the sump?"
There's holes in the shafts, thy feed the rocker itself. The rocker has a hole that sprays oil out onto the cam lobes and the valve adjuster.

Because sealant is used where the surfaces meet around the head stud hole, how can oil get into the head stud hole neccesitating the sealing washers on the 4 outside head studs?"
As stated before, the holes for the rocker shaft is drilled partially through the stud holes. The 4 sleeves block that flow from getting into the the cyl. stud holes.

1690811463126.png

Last edited:
Jim and Willis
Thanks for taking the time to help me.
I am still missing a piece of info. It must be the way im asking it or im having a senior moment.
If the sleeve blocks the oil passageway from entering the head stud hole, why do we have the o ring on one end and the sealing washer on the other.
Is it to ensure if the sleeve doesnt seal/block off the oilway completely then the oil is still contained (keeps pressure).
Thanks again Ray

Think of it this way. Drilling into the side of the rocker box was required 'cause that's where the rocker shaft needs to be. Problem is the hole for the stud is also there.... perpendicular. So they drilled the hole for the rocker shaft through the stud hole and then used the sleeve to block off that hole they DIDN"T want to drill in the stud hole.
In other words, in an ideal world, the rocker shaft hole and the stud hole would NOT even come close to each other... then we wouldn't need the sleeve, o-ring and copper washer on top to keep oil out of the stud hole.

Make sense?

Last edited:
Jim - thanks once again.
Make sense - sorry but no.
I understand why they had to drill across the stud hole to fit the rocker shaft.
Quote "then we wouldn't need the sleeve, o-ring and copper washer on top to keep oil out of the stud hole " - this is the part I dont understand.
How can oil get to the stud hole in the first place - the sleeve block it off.
I am missing something and Im sorry.
Regards Ray.

I thought some of the oil pumped up into the topend drained out and back down to the bottom end through those outer studs, but I guess not? It must all drain back down through the cam chain tunnel?

Jim - thanks once again.
Make sense - sorry but no.
I understand why they had to drill across the stud hole to fit the rocker shaft.
Quote "then we wouldn't need the sleeve, o-ring and copper washer on top to keep oil out of the stud hole " - this is the part I dont understand.
How can oil get to the stud hole in the first place - the sleeve block it off.
I am missing something and Im sorry.
Regards Ray.

Let me see if I can think of a different way of explaining it.

I thought some of the oil pumped up into the topend drained out and back down to the bottom end through those outer studs, but I guess not?
The sleeve and o-ring seal that drain path off.

Back