1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Replacing a Cylinder Sleeve (How To)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jim, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Jim

Jim The thrill of victory and da agony of da feet. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

While researching for a friend on replacing cylinder sleeves, I ran across numerous mentions of just heating the cylinder and the sleeves will just fall out. Since I have a 20T press, I'd offered to press the sleeve out for my friend... but the idea of just using heat intrigued me. And.... having a spare set of jugs just layin' around.... well hell... lets give it a shot.

For this exercise, we're just removing one sleeve, so I used a couple washers and some safety wire to hold the other (left) one in place.... In retrospect, it's probably a good idea to washer and safety all the stud holes.

Sleeve 1.jpg

I set a few pieces of aluminum in the oven and set the jugs on that, positioned so that the sleeve would just fall out when it got loose enough. It didn't fall out (as it has for others) so if I had a do-over, I'd just set it on the oven rack.

Sleeve2.jpg

Set the oven at 250F. and let it heat for 15min. Removed the jugs and set them in the sink. A gentle push was all that was required and the sleeve popped free. Grabbed the other side of it and a few gentle twists.... and out it came....

sleeve3.jpg
    Sleeve4.jpg

All things considered... it probably would have been quicker and easier just to use the 20T press, but this how-to is for someone who doesn't have access to a press but does have an understanding wife:whistle:

Just for s&g's, I went ahead and did some measuring while it's apart.

sleeve5.jpg
    sleeve6.jpg

As you can see, there's slightly over 2 thousands interference at room temperature. OK, time to put it back together..... I made a box to set the heated cylinder assy. on.

sleeve7.jpg

The inside dimensions of the box are 3.5" X 8.5". The sleeve is cleaned and oiled, ready to go back in. Also sitting there at the ready is a hammer and block of wood for "persuasion" if necessary (it wasn't).
    I set the cylinder back in the oven at 300deg. for 30 min. The reason I went 300 was because at 250 the sleeve was still a slight interference fit, so I wanted to find out how a higher temp. would work. After 30 min. I set the cylinder on the box, set the sleeve over it... and it just fell in with a resounding "thunk!"

sleeve8.jpg

So, in retrospect, 300 should be the target temp. for removal and reassembly.
    Conclusion: This task is easily doable by anyone with an oven and an understanding wife.... or one that's out of the house...;)
    Why do this? Easy, there's tons of old cylinders out there where one cylinder is almost pristine and the other is ruined because it sat for years with the valve(s) open. Two sets of those cylinders can be easily turned into one good set without the hundreds of dollars it would take for machine shop fees and oversize pistons and rings.
    EDIT: As the cylinder assy cooled (but still hot to the touch), I noticed the sleeve was sitting a little proud of the cylinder. A few sharp raps with the wood block and hammer and it set down flush.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    grizld1, MaxPete, Scripto VU and 8 others like this.
  2. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Thank you Jim! This an absolutely terrific how to. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this. I know you have a big ol press, I have also watched videos on YouTube where people make home made pullers and crank them out. But this is simplicity itself.

If I may add one thing. When I was researching this as part of my homework assignment from 2M, he put up a technical bulletin from Yamaha stating to place a heavy object on top of the newly inserted sleeves to keep it from creeping up out of the cylinder when it cools.

Thanks again for a well written and photographed tutorial. The tech section needs a new addition!

TwoManyXS1Bs, robinc and Jim like this.
  3. Jim

Jim The thrill of victory and da agony of da feet. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Thanks Bob.
    Yeah, read my EDIT above. It did creep. A couple smacks fixed it.

robinc and Mailman like this.
  4. xjwmx

xjwmx XS650 Guru Top Contributor

U.S.A.
    Great writeup. One thing, I noticed sleeves are pretty expensive (from Mike's). On ebay, whole used cylinders with two sleeves are about half the price, best as I remember.

robinc and Jim like this.
  5. Jim

Thanks. Yeah, finding a used set with one bad and one good sleeve is probably the cheapest way to go....

robinc likes this.
  6. angus67

angus67 Welder's penetrate deeper!!

That's how I did my first rebiuld!

Mailman, robinc and Jim like this.
  7. A gas barbecue on a low setting also works very well. All my GSXR liners fell out as soon as I touched them.

gggGary, robinc and Jim like this.
  8. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

some of the difference came from the sleeve being at room temp ( ie not expanded by heat) for the second insertion. Aluminum expands more than steel with a temperature increase but they both expand.

9. Jim

Yeah.... good point Gary. Someone over on Bobs thread said you've done this. You do anything different?

robinc likes this.
  10. gggGary

nah I took one apart with an oven (I think LOL) when making my light weight mock up motor shell, but never put one together. It already had one broken sleeve. (Wonder why the sleeve cracked?) IIRC I put it in, turned the oven to 400 and waited til I heard the sleeves drop out, then popped in a pizza.
    xsruinedjug 002.jpg

MaxPete, Camilo, peanut and 3 others like this.
  11. angus67

angus67 Welder's penetrate deeper!!

How much did your mock up motor end up weighing?

Jim likes this.
  12. gggGary

dunno, pretty light, 50 pounds?
    It's sitting in the racer frame towards the back of the heap.
    tracker 027.JPG

robinc, Mailman and Jim like this.
  13. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Courtesy of Mr. TwoManyX1B’s. Seems like a good place for them. Check out these 1971 prices!
    C844E416-D6D4-45C1-B3F0-E3542C91896B.jpeg 4DCA8F50-9452-4552-8949-89792AF570AD.jpeg

14. Jim

Good stuff Bob. :)

robinc and gggGary like this.
  15. robinc

robinc Member of the 'yellow meter gang' Top Contributor

Jeesh 2M . Get that time machine up and running eh?

16. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Haha.

For precision boring and honing, we charged $8 per hole.

Of course, that's '70s precision.

Wouldn't that be nice.... :D

Mailman, Jim, robinc and 1 other person like this.
  17. peanut

peanut XS650 Guru Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

excellent write up Jim and a very instructive thread . Perhaps it could be added to the Tech section ?:)

18. xjwmx

xjwmx XS650 Guru Top Contributor

U.S.A.
    There's a shop here that does a V8 for $50. I asked the guy I was talking to so that was $400? No, $50. That's $6.25 a hole.

19. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

Great write-up, Jim! I never thought of one good/one bad cylinder. I wasn't planning on opening the top end of 'The Basketcase' (my '75) for a rebuild, because I got it with only 9,300 miles on it, but since it sat (holding up a shed) for so long, yeah, I'll bet one side's gonna be roached. I'm just starting to tear it apart (thread to follow), but a compression test should shed some light on its "health". I got a spare motor in a deal for one of my other bikes, and thought about stripping it for a mock-motor, but removing the sleeves never crossed my mind. Genius! Not only would it lose some weight, I'd have that "good" cylinder sleeve for one of the other bikes (if necessary).

TwoManyXS1Bs, Mailman, Jim and 2 others like this.
  20. funky

funky XS650 Junkie

Just did this if you put your jugs in the oven on the try the right way up 250f 10 minute you hear a CLONK ! then thats the ally finnd outer dropping down onto the oven try.
    So this method come free with an alarm lol

Attached Files:

Jim likes this.