Which Carburetors Would You Use?

tonyc

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
If you were building a XS650 for the street-highway, witch pair of carbs would you choose? They could be stock or aftermarket. The engine will have a 750 kit, an electronic ignition, and an aftermarket exhaust system. The head will be mildly ported, intake and exhaust. What would your choice be? Thanks Tony C.

Mikes Keihin carb kit.

48-9010.jpg

Last edited:
The ONLY carbs I like to use are Lectrons. Kinda pricey, but the time you save tuning and the power is worth it. All the others are too much work for very little gain.

lectron%20carbs.jpg

Stupid simple to tune (1 metering rod = the same as 15 Jets) and you can add powerjets for top end adjustability. Float bowls are clear so you can see fuel levels, and you can do all the adjustements to the carb from the outside....

2nd would be the VM's from Mikuni.... The price is fair, get them Mike at 650Central, and they will be 95% setup to run right out of the box.

Seeing how poorly built MikesXS Keihin's are, I'd either plan on doing all the Mods Mr. Riggs is doing to make them work, or look elsewhere... (No offense Pete, just not a fan of the set that was here last week)

I buy mine from Briton Bees.... Its not a "Bolt-On" set for an XS, you'll need intake boots, and get a set of 2-1 cables... Not the end of the world, but thats why so many folks pick the VM's or other "Kit" carbs for the XS...

If you want a set, contact Emmanuel At Briton Bees, he does some Kickass Moped stuff, and is a dealer for Lectron. Tell him Hugh sent ya, and you'll want to get a quote on 2 -34MM Lectrons with 0-1 Metering Rods. Powerjet is optional...

Emmanuel@britonbees.com

http://britonbees.com/index.php

lettle,

Here they are on my '81/H Special. Should be the same on a standard. Once you remove the stock filter box, there is tons of room back there.

keihin.jpg

Forget the Kehins the mikuni 34 Tm are way better.The Kehins are now in the parts box.

If you run the Mikuni TM Series do you use the one with an accelerator pump that is designed for the four-stroke or the plain TM? If you run the plain TM what changes do you make to run on the XS650 for street use? It sure looks like a fine option. Right now I have VM34's from MMM and they are great. I am just exploring options for my next Big-Bore build. Thanks again TC

The US distributors (Sudco, CPW, etc.) and Mikuni America do not see fit to make TM34 4-stroke pumpers available to us. The TM36/68 is available here, I love mine, but if you're not ready to do some serious fabrication, don't even think about it. The 34's are available in Europe, and Topham's makes a flat-out beautiful kit for the XS650. It may look pricey, but I can tell you from experience that you won't get the job done tuning and modding a pair of TM36/68's for less. See www.mikuni-topham.de .

I've acquired some 33 mm. Mikuni 4-stroke flat slide pumpers, one bank of two and one bank of 4, and I'll be playing with them as time allows.They're similar to the TM33/8012 pumpers but show minor variations from those and from each other. They have real promise; for one thing the throttle shafts are mounted forward of the slide towers, allowing the use of extended mounts.

I replaced the nozzles,pilots and mains.The nozzle are now 2 steps leaner.they work like a charm.My Xs is for a speed track use only.

Cannot see a price - what do they sell for..??

The US distributors (Sudco, CPW, etc.) and Mikuni America do not see fit to make TM34 4-stroke pumpers available to us. The TM36/68 is available here, I love mine, but if you're not ready to do some serious fabrication, don't even think about it. The 34's are available in Europe, and Topham's makes a flat-out beautiful kit for the XS650. It may look pricey, but I can tell you from experience that you won't get the job done tuning and modding a pair of TM36/68's for less. See www.mikuni-topham.de .

I've acquired some 33 mm. Mikuni 4-stroke flat slide pumpers, one bank of two and one bank of 4, and I'll be playing with them as time allows.They're similar to the TM33/8012 pumpers but show minor variations from those and from each other. They have real promise; for one thing the throttle shafts are mounted forward of the slide towers, allowing the use of extended mounts.

Price is going to vary with exchange rates, etc., so you need to send Topham's a message and get a quote. The last I heard was around US $700 shipped to the US.

Back