XS650.com
Forum Search: Advanced

Go Back   XS650 Forum > General Discussion > The Garage
Register Forum FAQ XS650 Tech Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Donate

Welcome to XS650.com!
XS650.com is dedicated to the Yamaha XS650 twin motorcycles and to the people who love to ride, restore, and customize them. As a guest you can view the forum and photo galleries full of xs650 choppers, bobbers, trackers, cafe racers, and restorations, but you have to register before you can post or view attachments. Itís free and only takes a minute. Proceed to registration. (This notice will go away once you log in)

The Garage Motorcycle Related Discussion (Yamaha XS650, other makes and models, and anything else motorcycle related including tools and gear)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-23-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
slackjaw44
greasy summmbitch
 
slackjaw44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tejas
Posts: 242
Default I rode a 1968 Yamaha 60 yesterday

So I stopped off at a buddy's shop to pick up some parts, he had a 1968 Yamaha 60, damn thing probably does no more than 10 hp. Anyways top speed was a whopping 40 mph, not the best idea taking it on a 60mph road. Got a few laughs, few thumbs up, it's was for sure a white knuckle ride,



Uploaded with ImageShack.us


Last edited by slackjaw44; 05-03-2011 at 04:59 PM.
slackjaw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
pyroman
Pyroman
 
pyroman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Amarillo Texas
Posts: 471
Default Re: I rode a 1968 Yamaha 60 yesterday

Looks pretty clean, is it restored?


79 Street Tracker.Kick only.

I'm learning to fly, but I aint got wings
Coming down, is the hardest thing
pyroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
pyroman
Pyroman
 
pyroman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Amarillo Texas
Posts: 471
Default Re: I rode a 1968 Yamaha 60 yesterday

That reminds Me of My Buddy Alton, He has had this Russian bike forever, and I rode it last summer. It has this weird deal, where You can operate the clutch with the gear shift- the theory being that if the Chinese shoot your arm off, you can still shift gears! I cant remember the make of this bike, but the carb is a flat slide, and is so simple that you can rebuild the carb, with no tools, WITH GLOVES ON. The front and rear wheel are interchangable with no tools. Check out the Bitch-handle on the seat, for those heavy duty Russian babes....Alton is a very talented pinstriper, and painted the beer box, just to kill time. Evel jumping on Altons bike......
Attached Thumbnails
Keller Peckerheads 090.jpg   Keller Peckerheads 092.jpg   Keller Peckerheads 099.jpg   Keller Peckerheads 101.jpg  



79 Street Tracker.Kick only.

I'm learning to fly, but I aint got wings
Coming down, is the hardest thing
pyroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
pyroman
Pyroman
 
pyroman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Amarillo Texas
Posts: 471
Default Re: I rode a 1968 Yamaha 60 yesterday

Here's another shot of Alton, at last October Lake O' the Pines Rallye. He was bored again, so He modified His helmet. all brushwork, and He made the screw out of a Coors can. The Boy just aint right.....Last pic is a Triton that Alton had just finished pinstriping. The dude that owns it got all beered up, and at the stroke of midnight, He did a valve-floating, sand throwing burnout, and left the bike sitting there all night. I wanted to steal it and take it home, no bike deserves that....
Attached Thumbnails
26th LOP Rallye 107.jpg   26th LOP Rallye 108.jpg   26th LOP Rallye 100.jpg  


79 Street Tracker.Kick only.

I'm learning to fly, but I aint got wings
Coming down, is the hardest thing
pyroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
BigJimmyW13
XS650 Guru
 
BigJimmyW13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brighton, IL
Posts: 2,187
Default Re: I rode a 1968 Yamaha 60 yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroman View Post
Here's another shot of Alton, at last October Lake O' the Pines Rallye. He was bored again, so He modified His helmet. all brushwork, and He made the screw out of a Coors can. The Boy just aint right.....Last pic is a Triton that Alton had just finished pinstriping. The dude that owns it got all beered up, and at the stroke of midnight, He did a valve-floating, sand throwing burnout, and left the bike sitting there all night. I wanted to steal it and take it home, no bike deserves that....
Hmm, Pretty sure that guy lives in Carrollton in North Dallas.
Attached Thumbnails
Triton1.jpg   Triton2.jpg  


My Rides
31yo XS650 Rephased 750
32yo Honda CX500 bobber
25yo Harley Evo Mutant
7yo Buell XB12R
BigJimmyW13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
Yamakazi
XS650 Addict
 
Yamakazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 178
Default Re: I rode a 1968 Yamaha 60 yesterday

Check out this 1965 Yamaha 50...2100 miles

http://ocala.craigslist.org/mcy/2315229099.html



1979 XS650 Special
Yamakazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
pyroman
Pyroman
 
pyroman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Amarillo Texas
Posts: 471
Default Re: I rode a 1968 Yamaha 60 yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmyW13 View Post
Hmm, Pretty sure that guy lives in Carrollton in North Dallas.
Richard lives in Keller. He is one of Our Peckerhead motorcycle Racing Team.
If You get the chance , drop by the Up in Smoke BBQ in Keller, on a Friday afternoon , and meet some of the Peckerheads, ansd see some classic rides.


79 Street Tracker.Kick only.

I'm learning to fly, but I aint got wings
Coming down, is the hardest thing
pyroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
BigJimmyW13
XS650 Guru
 
BigJimmyW13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brighton, IL
Posts: 2,187
Default Re: I rode a 1968 Yamaha 60 yesterday

Well he must have been in Carrollton; in Las Colinas more specifically! Because that's where I snapped that picture in an apartment complex. Check out the top of the tank and see the pinstriping and let me know if it was your friend's work?


Last edited by BigJimmyW13; 04-24-2011 at 09:42 AM.

My Rides
31yo XS650 Rephased 750
32yo Honda CX500 bobber
25yo Harley Evo Mutant
7yo Buell XB12R
BigJimmyW13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
pyroman
Pyroman
 
pyroman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Amarillo Texas
Posts: 471
Default Re: I rode a 1968 Yamaha 60 yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmyW13 View Post
Well he must have been in Carrollton; in Las Colinas more specifically! Because that's where I snapped that picture in an apartment complex. Check out the top of the tank and see the pinstriping and let me know if it was your friend's work?
Yeah, Jimmy, that is some of Altons work.


79 Street Tracker.Kick only.

I'm learning to fly, but I aint got wings
Coming down, is the hardest thing
pyroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:36 AM   #10
BigJimmyW13
XS650 Guru
 
BigJimmyW13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brighton, IL
Posts: 2,187
Default Re: I rode a 1968 Yamaha 60 yesterday

That must be the same bike then. Cool man. I was really impressed with that bike. It was super clean. Did he build it or buy it?


My Rides
31yo XS650 Rephased 750
32yo Honda CX500 bobber
25yo Harley Evo Mutant
7yo Buell XB12R
BigJimmyW13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #11
OakBehringer
XS650 Guru
 
OakBehringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 1,130
Default Re: I rode a 1968 Yamaha 60 yesterday

Regarding tiny bikes, some friends and I have a grip of CT70s to dick around on. They're a blast to ride around the city, especially in a group. Lots of turned heads, laughs, questions, and almost everyone asks "how much you wanna sell that for!?" I love rolling up next to chromed out Harley dudes at a light. Usually they don't even acknowledge me, sometimes they love it though.



More pics from us shootin around town yesterday:

http://www.hellsbananas.com/archives/saturday/523


poop
OakBehringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #12
BigJimmyW13
XS650 Guru
 
BigJimmyW13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brighton, IL
Posts: 2,187
Default Re: I rode a 1968 Yamaha 60 yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakBehringer View Post
Regarding tiny bikes, some friends and I have a grip of CT70s to dick around on. They're a blast to ride around the city, especially in a group. Lots of turned heads, laughs, questions, and almost everyone asks "how much you wanna sell that for!?" I love rolling up next to chromed out Harley dudes at a light. Usually they don't even acknowledge me, sometimes they love it though.


More pics from us shootin around town yesterday:

http://www.hellsbananas.com/archives/saturday/523
Gotta ask... What's the top speed?


My Rides
31yo XS650 Rephased 750
32yo Honda CX500 bobber
25yo Harley Evo Mutant
7yo Buell XB12R
BigJimmyW13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #13
jayel
#9 Guru 74 TX650A
 
jayel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: southeastern Iowa
Posts: 1,936
Default Re: I rode a 1968 Yamaha 60 yesterday

here's my 1966 Aermacchi/H-D M-50, 50cc 3-speed on the handlebar 45mph on the flat
Attached Thumbnails
Aug19^23.JPG  


I actually read this post and now my comment makes absolutely no sense.
Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket.
Hobbies... Avoiding hard work and pain
1987 XLH1100, 1980 XS1100, 1978 SR500, 1980 Yammahopper, 1966 Aermacchi/H-D M-50
jayel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #14
OakBehringer
XS650 Guru
 
OakBehringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 1,130
Default Re: I rode a 1968 Yamaha 60 yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmyW13 View Post
Gotta ask... What's the top speed?
The motors are slightly different in the red bikes and the blue one. The blue one has timing advance, so you get a few more MPH out of it... that one tops out at about 50, the others around 43. All depends on tire pressure and luck

Plan for the blue one is to continue to bob it out for laughs at bike shows - it will be entered in every competition that accepts me. I lowered it a couple inches already, etc. Gotta finish up the seat, change the bars, bates style headlight... etc.

The red one actually got first place for "best custom scooter" category at Mods vs Rockers last year, even though it's totally stock. There weren't any other categories it fit in. Total surprise to win that.

http://www.hellsbananas.com/archives...ockers-2010/72


poop
OakBehringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #15
pyroman
Pyroman
 
pyroman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Amarillo Texas
Posts: 471
Default Re: I rode a 1968 Yamaha 60 yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmyW13 View Post
That must be the same bike then. Cool man. I was really impressed with that bike. It was super clean. Did he build it or buy it?
Jimmy, I dont know Richard well, but I think He bought off e-bay. I lust after that bike.....
Attached Thumbnails
Keller Peckerheads 103.jpg   Keller Peckerheads 104.jpg   Keller Peckerheads 105.jpg  


79 Street Tracker.Kick only.

I'm learning to fly, but I aint got wings
Coming down, is the hardest thing
pyroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #16
BigJimmyW13
XS650 Guru
 
BigJimmyW13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brighton, IL
Posts: 2,187
Default Re: I rode a 1968 Yamaha 60 yesterday

Well nonetheless it is pretty sick up close and in person.

I would consider your braindead if you didn't lust after that bike.


My Rides
31yo XS650 Rephased 750
32yo Honda CX500 bobber
25yo Harley Evo Mutant
7yo Buell XB12R
BigJimmyW13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #17
BigJimmyW13
XS650 Guru
 
BigJimmyW13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brighton, IL
Posts: 2,187
Default Re: I rode a 1968 Yamaha 60 yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakBehringer View Post
The motors are slightly different in the red bikes and the blue one. The blue one has timing advance, so you get a few more MPH out of it... that one tops out at about 50, the others around 43. All depends on tire pressure and luck

Plan for the blue one is to continue to bob it out for laughs at bike shows - it will be entered in every competition that accepts me. I lowered it a couple inches already, etc. Gotta finish up the seat, change the bars, bates style headlight... etc.

The red one actually got first place for "best custom scooter" category at Mods vs Rockers last year, even though it's totally stock. There weren't any other categories it fit in. Total surprise to win that.

http://www.hellsbananas.com/archives...ockers-2010/72
If they weren't going for a chunk of change I would probably try and pick one of those suckers up!!


My Rides
31yo XS650 Rephased 750
32yo Honda CX500 bobber
25yo Harley Evo Mutant
7yo Buell XB12R
BigJimmyW13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #18
slackjaw44
greasy summmbitch
 
slackjaw44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tejas
Posts: 242
Default Re: I rode a 1968 Yamaha 60 yesterday

happy to see my thread alive and well
slackjaw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #19
cstafford
XS650 Enthusiast
 
cstafford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 60
Default Re: I rode a 1968 Yamaha 60 yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakBehringer View Post
Regarding tiny bikes, some friends and I have a grip of CT70s to dick around on. They're a blast to ride around the city, especially in a group. Lots of turned heads, laughs, questions, and almost everyone asks "how much you wanna sell that for!?" I love rolling up next to chromed out Harley dudes at a light. Usually they don't even acknowledge me, sometimes they love it though.



More pics from us shootin around town yesterday:

http://www.hellsbananas.com/archives/saturday/523
thats just too awesome.


Are you being audited?
cstafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #20
OakBehringer
XS650 Guru
 
OakBehringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 1,130
Default Re: I rode a 1968 Yamaha 60 yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmyW13 View Post
If they weren't going for a chunk of change I would probably try and pick one of those suckers up!!
Keep your eyes open. I got my red K1 for $175, the blue HK0 for $300. Of course, I've done a lot of work on them since then, but the both ran strong with a standard tuneup.


poop
OakBehringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Similar Threads (based on keywords)
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted - Set of BS34's, like yesterday!!!! littlebill31 Classifieds 1 04-11-2011 03:16 PM
need wiring help like yesterday lol MButler37 The Garage 6 03-19-2011 12:02 PM
Who Rode Today ReycleBill The Garage 36 02-19-2011 10:07 AM
Rode the bike. XSLeo The Garage 5 02-18-2011 10:59 PM
Made a film yesterday... fruhstuck The Garage 15 05-06-2010 04:27 PM

Tags
non-xs650

Bookmarks
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:24 AM.