My 81 XS650 Bobber Experience and Build Project

HMGBobber

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

First off i'd like to introduce myself. I am 26 years old and have been riding since 07. My first bike and still have to this day is a 07 Triumph Daytona 675. Did a lot of riding and now it is a track dedicated bike.

A little more than a year ago my buddy introduced me into "Bobbers". Ever since then i was in love with them and planned on building one. Well yesterday was the big day. I drove out an hour away and purchased an 81 XS650 with 22k+ miles. I rode it all the way home.

When i got home i couldn't feel my legs or hands. I didn't realize they vibrated that much? Anywho, my first concern is the brakes. There seem to be plenty of pad left but i swear that sucker scared me trying to stop quickly. I may bleed it and change the fluid. Second concern is the clutch. Shifting from 1 to 5 is decently easy enough but going from 3-2-1-N is extremely hard to do. It feels liket he clutch is sticky. But when i shut off the bike it goes in gear and neutral fine.

I plan to keep things simple. Bobbing it and a nice coat of paint and replacing what needs to be replaced to keep her reliable.

Enough ranting, here she is and thanks for listening.

Had to stop to regain feeling in arms and legs so i took a quick picture.

2011-05-30184944.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to our little slice of the web. Looks like you have a nice bike to base your bobber on. Take pics and keep us informed of your progress. Please ask any questions you have. There's enough support here to solve any situation you may come across.

could the brakes be scary because your used to your trump?
you can get double floating disks for these 650's if you want to, but yeah, try to remember wich bike you on when you plan a emergency stop. Nice bike by the way, how much u pay? did the throttle run smooth thru all rpms? upgrade the clutch first. any upgrade in performance will need stiffer springs, but you prolly already know that from the track.
welcome.

could the brakes be scary because your used to your trump?
you can get double floating disks for these 650's if you want to, but yeah, try to remember wich bike you on when you plan a emergency stop. Nice bike by the way, how much u pay? did the throttle run smooth thru all rpms? upgrade the clutch first. any upgrade in performance will need stiffer springs, but you prolly already know that from the track.
welcome.

Lol, Could be that maybe im used the to the trumps brakes but i think i pulled it all the way in and the front didn't even lock up. The throttle was smooth all the way to redline in every gear. And seems to run very strong besides the clutch issues.

I paid $550 for it.

Here's some work in progress of the triumph. I just finished painting and putting her all back together but no pictures yet.

2011-05-18151641.jpg

2011-05-18151656.jpg

Yes, the XS650 will vibrate a bit more than the Trump.
Syncing the carbs will help the vibes the most.
The brakes on the early models, 73 to 77 were the best on the market at the time.
A good cleaning of the caliper and master cylinder will help. You often don't need new parts unless the piston is rusty.
Replacing the stock rubber lines with braided stainless lines is a good upgrade. Using a smaller bore M/C helps too.
The experts that have ridden and raced these bikes suggest an 11 mm bore M/C with a single stock caliper. Drilling the rotor, swapping a slotted one from an XS1100 thats 5 mm thick improves the brake, swapping the rotor for a more modern, lighter unit helps too.
Leo

How'd you get that trump to float in air? Hhahahaha jk jk

Your XS looks like a damned fine specimen, kind of a shame to see it get hacked......but not that much of a shame.....:D

Ok lets get an update. I got a little too tied up in doing Trackdays with the Trump and hadn't had time for the 650...Now that's it's getting cold here I'm gonna start this build back up. I came up with a parts list. Please let me know what else i would need.

All from TCBros.com

1975-81 Yamaha XS650 Engine Gasket Kit - $56.99

Screw in Gas Cap - $19.99

Cleveland CycleWerks Sportster Gas Tank 2.4 Gallon - $129.00

Yamaha XS650 Weld On Hardtail - $219.99

TC Bros. Drag Bars - Black Powdercoat Finish - $24.99

Ultima Black Smooth Vinyl Solo Seat - $49.99

Solo Seat Mounting Kit (with 3" springs) - $84.99

What do you guys think so far? I'll be ordering Friday so any advice or anything else i would need ?

Has anyone eliminted the usage of the rear brakes and just use the fronts? I see no point in the rear brakes unless i somehow get pushed offroad and need the rear to slow me down...

I guess you could if you really wanted to...but I'd prefer to have two breaks incase on fails.

Hi all, I need a little help/suggestion.

The instructions i got from TCBros were a little vague on where to weld the hardtail to where the seat mounts to. No matter where i put it, I have a pretty good size gap. Any suggestions on this?

2011-10-01183604.jpg

2011-10-01183630.jpg

2011-10-01183615.jpg

No one? Are you guys just filling in the gap with welds? I emailed TCbros, hopefully they can give me a answer by Monday.

Back