Critic my wreck (I already know I messed up though)

Hahahaha, well in the end we all know who runs the show in a household. But once oyu get it fixed and take her for a few rides she will change her mind and you might even get the "im sure glad you fixed this thing" outta her ha. Sounds like you got a handful, sounds like she can hold her own, reminds me of my sister, she shot a 10 pointer(buck) last season.. showed me up. ha. Hang in there and keep on sweet talkin the mrs' shes bound to come around!

Shit happens, bummer situation.I am glad there were no serious injuries. I wasn't there and you may have made the best choice but to paraphrase the aviators creed: No matter what happens FLY THE PLANE (ride the motorcycle) first. Your best chance of a good outcome is maintaining control of the bike even if it's just to the site of the crash.

Never give up on recovering control.

Sounds to me like you have analyzed this really well. We all need to stay focused and wear our gear! I am guilty of riding in a t-shirt myself. Glad there were no serious injuries.

gdcpony,

I have a rule when I am riding or driving. I will not swerve or do anything to avoid hitting a small animal who crosses my path at the wrong time. A dead human is too high a price to pay to save some small animal. Sorry...

Applying this rule has led to some revelations about small animal behavior. They always get out of the way.

Pete I've noticed the same thing... 99% of the time they make it out of the way. I think by swerving you're more likely to hit them. However, if you're going fast enough, they don't have time to get out of the way and you don't have time to swerve. A friend of mine hit a squirrel at about 115mph. He said he just hung on and was surprised how little it upset the bike. He went back to look at the damage and said it was in 3 pieces..

Here are the damage pics:
l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

As a new rider, I can say I learned something from that... When you are loosing control, head for the grass? I do a decent amount of hunting, so a groundhog is fair game, though I can see its guts being kinda slippery (sorry for the visual).

As a new rider, I can say I learned something from that... When you are loosing control, head for the grass? I do a decent amount of hunting, so a groundhog is fair game, though I can see its guts being kinda slippery (sorry for the visual).
I hunt them allot and eat them too so the visual is nothing. Heck my daughters both own .223's for them and coyotes.

Once I realized I was not going to make the turn I did aim for the grass. I actually thought I could ride into it and stop, but I caught on the bank. That's what caused the spill. If I knew I was going down, I would have done the same though as I would prefer the soft landing.

GDCPONY - I sent you a PM earlier about this. I have a bunch of stock stuff that you are welcome to have if it will help you get you riding again, just cover the shipping. I'm in Ft Wayne, IN.

GDCPONY - I sent you a PM earlier about this. I have a bunch of stock stuff that you are welcome to have if it will help you get you riding again, just cover the shipping. I'm in Ft Wayne, IN.
Thanks a ton! It will help out allot. I will owe you big time!

Same here man. Was a volunteer fireman in high school and responded to way too many " i swerved to miss (insert creature here) accidents. out Of over 2 dozen of these, the only guy that should have swerved took on a brahma bull at over 45 mph. totalled the car and the bull walked away.
gdcpony,

I have a rule when I am riding or driving. I will not swerve or do anything to avoid hitting a small animal who crosses my path at the wrong time. A dead human is too high a price to pay to save some small animal. Sorry...

Applying this rule has led to some revelations about small animal behavior. They always get out of the way.

Glad you and yours are okay physically and that your daughter is mentally sound after the spill. I have nothing to critique...shit happens, move on and keep the rubber side down next time.

Hopefully the wife will come to her senses and realize, these things happen. And btw I am not married but something I learned a long time ago in an engagement...it's easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. :) Good luck w/ the bike.

+1 for cats, coons, possums, skunks, snapping turtles and dogs.
Deer and cows on the rode are another thing. What did the MSF class say about
those types xjwmx?

The main thing in the case of deer (and I suppose cows) is to not try to predict where it will go. They're unpredictable. Slow way down or even stop, and let it do its thing.

There's a special strategy for big dogs coming after you, coming from the side, out of someone's yard, say. Slow down a bit as it runs toward you. Just before he gets to you, speed up. It throws him completely off. When he gets to where he was planning to intersect you, you aren't there. I used this once out in the country where people have big dogs loose for protection. It was fun.

Here's a book worth getting:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...+motorcycling&sprefix=proficient+motorcycling

^We were given the general rule that if something can fit under the bike, then it's usually ok to ride over it. Part of the drill was riding laps, running over 2x4's.

Really eh? How do they taste?

the only small game we really have are grouse (partridge) and rabbit.
I think of them as small deer. There is a small gland under the front legs you have to get out or they taste like crap though. We have no beef in the house (for the last four years in fact) because wild game provides it.

I wasn't trying to swerve exactly, just hit it straight if I was going to. But being straight was a bad thing at the time. If I had seen it come out of the ditch, I would have gone around though. The other side of the road was clear enough with enough width (bike trail both sides), but I was looking away. I won't do that again.

Back