CX500 opinions?

NewToXs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have a CX500 and have any thoughts on them?

I'm contemplating getting another bike for two up riding with my girlfriend. We've done a few rides on my XS and its ok but she's not very comfortable. I have a KTM950 that is more comfortable for her but she's a bit scared of it and I can barely touch the ground on it so it's not a great option. Our first ride on the 950 she threw me off balance climbing on and we wound up laying on the ground. Being short sometimes sucks.

I see a CX500 custom for sale and it looks a lot more comfortable for two up than the XS and also has a sissy bar for her. It's a unique motorcycle and has caught my attention.

Shadetree Surgeon on YouTube put three of those bikes to the test. Extreme test. Look it up. It may convince you. It IS a Honda.
FWIW, the only bike my wife has ridden as pillion and did not complain was the GoldWing. For me, I'm too tall to be comfortable on the Wing. The giant KTM is probably fine for me as long as the pegs aren't too close to the seat.

Being a Honda, it will be rather blah and boring, but dependable. That's what I like about the XS, it's a bit rough around the edges and feels like a real motorcycle. I don't like my bikes too smooth, lol. I had an SR500 that had the same "rough around the edges" feel to it. The motor had no counter balancer so shook pretty good. I bought one of those SRX6 sport singles a few years later but only kept it a few years. It had a counter balancer so didn't have that feel I like. So, the SRX came and went but the SR stayed, lol. Eventually my 650 replaced the SR and I finally sold it recently.

Being a Honda, it will be rather blah and boring, but dependable. That's what I like about the XS, it's a bit rough around the edges and feels like a real motorcycle. I don't like my bikes too smooth, lol. I had an SR500 that had the same "rough around the edges" feel to it. The motor had no counter balancer so shook pretty good. I bought one of those SRX6 sport singles a few years later but only kept it a few years. It had a counter balancer so didn't have that feel I like. So, the SRX came and went but the SR stayed, lol. Eventually my 650 replaced the SR and I finally sold it recently.
You nailed it...boring but dependable.

Every Honda I've ever owned in the past I got bored with quickly because they were just lacking character....too electric feeling, utilitarian maybe?

The exception is the lil 70 Honda CB350 and 73 Honda CB350's I've been toying with lately. They're not fast, but they have an intoxicating exhaust note and you have to rev the piss out of them to get any power out of them...but they have a vertical twin buzz and feel to them that (read: mini XS-650) that is just fun to ride, at least around the back roads and neighborhood streets. 🥰

I rode my buddy's CX500 when he got one new back in High School when I was a young man...to be honest I really disliked the weird torque reaction to it every time you whacked the throttle. It wanted to roll to its side, which to me was a totally unnatural feeling from a motorcycle.

I've since ridden Motoguzzi's etc in the same engine configuration and they did the same thing...torque roll to the side. Strange feeling and didnt care for it at all.

Have one of the Silverwing Interstate GL500 models in my garage I'm restoring for my wife, it had belonged to her mother who rode till she was 70.
Shaft Drive, easy access to work on , yeah it's an older bike so will require more maintenance than any of the modern offerings but pretty reliable and the splayed cylinders offer easy access to valve adjustment when required.

The " twisted twin ".... ... I've told popular as a dispatch-message bike in the Uk. Very helpful Cx forum on line. If I didn't have a stable full... there's a local fellow sell'n a nice Cx650 Silver Wing.... If you need to replace the stator... then engine has to be drop'd... took me 30 minutes... floor jack... Have seen several very nice cafe' styles ..... Take it out for a test ride.. watch the temp gauge.... Mine is a Ex Chicago PD unit. 😎

Attachments

• CX500P.jpg
    CX500P.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Cx trike 2.jpg
    Cx trike 2.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 49
Anyone have a CX500 and have any thoughts on them?
Never owned one but spent a lot of time in and around them when they were knocking up endless miles and earning their owners a living.
Weak spots are alternators - engine out job, same for the water pump, iirc. However, spares aren't too extortionate and and in the hands of a private owner, just putting personal miles on it, it's not likely to be more than a once-in-a-lifetime job.
Apart from that, they just keep on going forever - don't skimp on coolant or oil quality, though.
One other thing, from reports I got, the CX500 Standard seat is one of the very few that is really an all-day-long perch on the standard bike, but don't know if the Custom seat is better or worse.
Honestly? I'd have one tomorrow, if I could find one that wasn't already thrashed to death with a million miles on it, because the London despatch scene acted like a magnet for them and used them up. Rare to find a good one now, and prices are starting to get silly.
Might not be the case in the US.

Last edited:
I like the CX500, lends itself well to customising - except for that damn, ugly tank. I'm not a Honda lover, a CB750 Bol d'or cured me of that. Don't know about the CX500, but the fours have a primary chain stuck in the middle of the crank, every other make uses gears. Never heard of any problems with the chain, but they make a god awful noise and having a chain running in the middle of the crank just leaves me cold, as do customs with nothing under the seat.
But, we all have our likes and dislikes, if you like the CX500 and your girlfreind is comfy sitting on the back, go for it!

Attachments

• 19_09_2018_Honda_CX500_cafe_racer_Pipeburn_01.jpg
    19_09_2018_Honda_CX500_cafe_racer_Pipeburn_01.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 48
Two up on a 500 twin may leave you wanting more.
I never rode one. My XS650 doesn’t mind hauling my wife in the least. I know that’s apples to oranges, but Shadetree is almost as big as me plus my wife and he did a fast blast from LA to Tampa on I10. WOT almost all the way.

Yeah I'm not a fan, only had 2 or 3, didn't ride any of em much
It's personal taste but that ain't a pretty motor to look at.
The CX650 might help with power. but didn't change the looks.
The Turbo's are kinda cool. But probably like owning a Buell.... :lmao:

Yeah I'm not a fan, only had 2 or 3, didn't ride any of em much
It's personal taste but that ain't a pretty motor to look at.
The CX650 might help with power. but didn't change the looks.
The Turbo's are kinda cool. But probably like owning a Buell.... :lmao:
Yes, we like what we like.

A mate had a CX500. it was fine as a solo steed; but struggled a bit when two up.
Used to be called The Maggot in the UK.

Back