where is full advance mark on 81

nezzer

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am installing a Boyer Brandson ignition system on my 1981 xs650 special. This bike originally had the transistorized ignition, no points. The instructions for the Boyer indicate that I should set the engine to full advance for setting the timing. My problem is this, I cant find the full advance mark.

Here is a picture of what I am looking for (taken from here). I need to find the #3 mark:
ign030.jpg

Here is a picture of what I have (click for full size):

Anyone know if there is a full advance mark on an 81? If not, does any one know how many degrees out from top dead center full advance is? Thanks.

nezzer,

Put the cover back on:

advance2.jpg

Full advance lines up with the left edge of the notch in the bottom of the cover.

This pic is of my '81/H.

Wow PamcoPete you are one hell of a guy to help someone with a Boyer Ign. As for me and 2 of my buddies we run the pamco and never had a problem,:thumbsup: Thanks again Pete for an outstanding product.

Well unless you race the engine all the time the TCI ignition curve advances a bit to fast for crusing and utilizing the lower to mid rpms for a better cruise.........especially for taller gears ....retarding it a bit makes for better engine response at the more moderate engine rpms we find ourselves at most of the time....I suggest to my customers that if it won't pull down to 2000 at low throttle and little load like around corners then it's advanced a bit much.....best to experiment and move it as you ride to find the optimim setting for what riding style you use....and starting off in first gear a bit retarded is always better...especially with taller gears....I found that .168 thou retard is about as far as one ever needs to go ......just worring about full advance can leave a lot to be desired for the rest of the ride.......

xsjohn

Attachments

• Timing.jpg
    Timing.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 497
Thanks for the tips. I saw the first reply and went and set my timing to 38 degrees off from top dead center. It idled fine at this setting. I still have a little ways to go before I am riding this bike any where. I will try putting the cover back on and setting it the notch as suggested.

Back