75b Frontend redo and deep clean

Motor cleaning and upper case painting went well as planned.Master cylinder rebuild and install and brake fluid fill and bleeding when I get it on the ground.Have one of the newer petcocks I bought a year or so back wanting to leak.Not messing with either at this time.I’ll save them and put an eye on them later.Ordered 2 new from XS650 Direct thus pulling the tank and testing before remounting.Haven’t checked my records to see where I purchased the pair that’s on it yet.I’ll share when I find it.

Attachments

• IMG_6372.jpeg
    IMG_6372.jpeg
    504.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6373.jpeg
    IMG_6373.jpeg
    417.8 KB · Views: 12
75b is off the lift for a bit.Quite pleased with another order from XS650 Direct.It’ll go back on the lift in a different direction to reinstall mufflers and pegs.Another thorough inspection of rear wheel spokes,chain wear etc. I replaced the swing arm bushings and brake shoes shortly after purchasing this 75b.I’d be relacing the rear wheel at this time but I’m getting some pressure from my little pal to “Let’s get OUR sidecar hooked back up so we can ride in it”.He knows me well at almost 8 now,I’m on it.🤝❤️✅.

Attachments

• IMG_6405.jpeg
    IMG_6405.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6403.png
    IMG_6403.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6400.png
    IMG_6400.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6399.jpeg
    IMG_6399.jpeg
    332.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6395.jpeg
    IMG_6395.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6394.jpeg
    IMG_6394.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6389.png
    IMG_6389.png
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6387.jpeg
    IMG_6387.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6386.jpeg
    IMG_6386.jpeg
    280.8 KB · Views: 16
One and two of the wish’id a done through the years of having many 75b’s for the next generations to have knowledge of;1)Kept track of serial #’s of matte black and bronze dash panels.2)Noticed more and noted the factory plug 🔌 for fairings.A crucial,competitive market option of the era.Craig wasn’t done.

Attachments

• IMG_6414.jpeg
    IMG_6414.jpeg
    321.1 KB · Views: 13
One and two of the wish’id a done through the years of having many 75b’s for the next generations to have knowledge of;1)Kept track of serial #’s of matte black and bronze dash panels.2)Noticed more and noted the factory plug 🔌 for fairings.A crucial,competitive market option of the era.Craig wasn’t done.
That's for fairing lights? Wow!! That question has been asked here a bunch of times and nobody ever had the answer. Nice to know!!

That's for fairing lights? Wow!! That question has been asked here a bunch of times and nobody ever had the answer. Nice to know!!
That’s what I was always told.Seemed to make sense.The Vetter craze fairings along with others was going on then. I’d sure be open to hear if it’s actually for something else.

That’s what I was always told.Seemed to make sense.The Vetter craze fairings along with others was going on then. I’d sure be open to hear if it’s actually for something else.
Just a suggestion... maybe turn on a turn signal and pin the connector with your voltmeter... see if you get a flashing voltage on one of the pins? I think that would confirm, or not if that's what it's for.

Just a suggestion... maybe turn on a turn signal and pin the connector with your voltmeter... see if you get a flashing voltage on one of the pins? I think that would confirm, or not if that's what it's for.
Only one of the 5pins light with the switch on.No flash.Great suggestion.Now I am more curious.Been a long while since really investigating it.🧐👍

Well that sucks. Was actually hoping you were right.

Well that sucks. Was actually hoping you were right.
Me too! I got an old retired Yamaha mechanic pal that worked on em in the day. I gotta try to visit and see if he can shed some light on the plug.👍

Stuck and ugly as suspected.Some delicate cleaning to the bore and reservoir on the agenda next.

Attachments

• IMG_6436.jpeg
    IMG_6436.jpeg
    600.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6437.jpeg
    IMG_6437.jpeg
    280.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6439.jpeg
    IMG_6439.jpeg
    245.8 KB · Views: 7
Stuck and ugly as suspected.Some delicate cleaning to the bore and reservoir on the agenda next.
The PO had pulled the original and just replaced it with an aftermarket that actually had worked great since I’ve owned it. The mirror threads wouldn’t accept the original mirror was the kicker.

Used the guitar “E”string method to open the relief port on the 75b master cylinder.Added a photo of a master cylinder off a 72 waiting a turn for a rebuild. This 75b original was extremely plugged.Both early round master cylinder reservoirs.A slight variation in the relief port location.

Attachments

• IMG_6468.jpeg
    IMG_6468.jpeg
    347.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6465.jpeg
    IMG_6465.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6457.jpeg
    IMG_6457.jpeg
    319.7 KB · Views: 8
A breezy 10 mile shakedown ride went smooth.No issues.Trying 11 1/2” aftermarket European style mirrors.So far so good. The helpful friends and threads here are priceless.Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_6528.jpeg
    IMG_6528.jpeg
    432.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6529.jpeg
    IMG_6529.jpeg
    480.4 KB · Views: 14
Lovely!! Looks new again.
The baby Honda thumper next? :wink2:

Thank you.Unsure of what’s next.Getting some comments from the house to finish the 76f and tell it goodbye.Lol.She may win!😂
A mutual agreement with Gaylene,we’re just going to keep this original 76f until I can lay down some Sulfur Yellow and finish the correct preservation of it.Have a 75 extra rear wheel from Phil on the way.🤝

Attachments

• IMG_6772.jpeg
    IMG_6772.jpeg
    346.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6773.jpeg
    IMG_6773.jpeg
    369.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6774.jpeg
    IMG_6774.jpeg
    249.6 KB · Views: 7
Back