can't adjust timing because of lobe play.

Prisondawg

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to adjust my timing but no matter how much I turn the plate, the point won't close all the way.

I did at once point take the advance rod out to lubricate it. Perhaps I installed it incorrectly.

No matter how far I turn the plate it rotates the lobe around the advance rod just as far.

Is timing lobe play normal? If not how do I fix it?

Thank you

I think you might need to rotate the motor until the points cam is at it's lowest point. Then adjust the points plate until the point close. Then rotate the motor until the points are fully open. Now set the points gap to the specification, roughly middle of the range given in your specs. You will now be close. It will be easist if you remove the plugs from the head doing this and leave the key off or the battery disconnected. I have not set points since 1991.

Yesterday I was setting the static timing on my bike too. I found that the points were not opening at all. The heel on the points wasn't touching the cam. I think this is the problem the OP has. Loosen the points mounting screw and move the points until you can see them open. Having done both sets, then adjust the gap. Probably take two or three attempts to get it just right. I'm doing mine again this morning to check I have the gap and the timing correct.

If the points cam is moving as you turn the points plate as you say, it shouldn't. Perhaps the small pin that locates the points cam in the correct position fell out of the advance rod. Remove the points cam and look t.o see if the small pin is still in the advance rod.

If the points cam is moving as you turn the points plate as you say, it shouldn't. Perhaps the small pin that locates the points cam in the correct position fell out of the advance rod. Remove the points cam and look t.o see if the small pin is still in the advance rod.

I checked the pin in the back and it is lined up, I recorded a video to show that the lobe moves the full length of rotation with the plate.

Back