Xs1-b Timing

Roy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like I can't rotate the points backing plate far enough to the right to correctly time the right cylinder. It's close, but not exact. With the plate rotated all the way to the right, the timing is still too retarded. Same thing goes for the left cylinder. What's happening? New points set at 14 thousandth. I checked, cleaned and lubricated the advance. I made sure the points cam is turned all the way to the right. I am using a test light, and using the static method.

The right set of points' timing can be set independent of the main base plate, set them first. If you need still need more advance, set the gap a little wider. then set the left timing with the main base plate

What's happening?
I am using a test light, and using the static method.
What's happening is cam chain stretch.
You can also Dremel larger the adjustment slots in the backing plate.
But first, static timing is only good enough so that you can start the bike. Then, you need do dynamic timing to see what's really happening.

Correction: All of what Dogbunny said is true; but I need to correct my explaination: it is the left set of points' timing that will adjust independent of the main base plate. So, set the right timing first with main base plate and then the left can be set indepentdent. Setting the gap a little wide will gain a little advance.

Back