Top end rebuild

Roy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I have a 1971 xs1-b 650 with unknown miles. No history from the previous owner, and no speedometer on the bike when I bought it. I have no idea about the actual mileage, but I'm guessing a lot. The cam chain seems to be stretched out enough that I can't set the ignition timing correctly. I had to grind the points backing plate a little just to get the timing close. On occasion the bike gives off a big cloud of smoke when I first start it. Not very often, but occasionally. Oh, and it's burning oil. With all that being said, I think it needs to have the top end rebuild. Do valve guides ever need replacing, or just the seals? What should I plan on money wise for this project provided I do all of the work? Thanks for all of your help.

Attachments

• 20240106_152143.jpg
    20240106_152143.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 20
So I have a 1971 xs1-b 650 with unknown miles. No history from the previous owner, and no speedometer on the bike when I bought it. I have no idea about the actual mileage, but I'm guessing a lot. The cam chain seems to be stretched out enough that I can't set the ignition timing correctly. I had to grind the points backing plate a little just to get the timing close. On occasion the bike gives off a big cloud of smoke when I first start it. Not very often, but occasionally. Oh, and it's burning oil. With all that being said, I think it needs to have the top end rebuild. Do valve guides ever need replacing, or just the seals? What should I plan on money wise for this project provided I do all of the work? Thanks for all of your help.
Yes they do wear. You won't know for sure until you take the top end off.

It's certainly worth the effort and time...its gorgeous. 🥰

Back