First start after rebuild

I think the machine runs rather quiet .I would wait for a while --see how it develops
wait for further developments

I think the machine runs rather quiet .I would wait for a while --see how it develops
wait for further developments
While I don’t have another new guide to look at,

I snapped some of the peices I found in the sump,
And then snapped some off the old guide.
They act the same , brittleness & ease of breaking

So hopefully they were leftovers

Well. You did not indicate that the motor was making odd noises. Check your cam chain tension again. Then refill with oil and ride it again (assuming no bad noise). A couple of trips long enough to get it fully warmed up(but not far from home or trailer). Drain and check the sump again. That might tell you that the particles were left over from the old tensioner. Good luck.

Well. You did not indicate that the motor was making odd noises. Check your cam chain tension again. Then refill with oil and ride it again (assuming no bad noise). A couple of trips long enough to get it fully warmed up(but not far from home or trailer). Drain and check the sump again. That might tell you that the particles were left over from the old tensioner. Good luck.
Thanks ,
I had no rattling noises,
I did have some kind of rubbing, whirring sound when it got hot,
Then it went away.

I think I’ll look at that starter gear, it started spinning, probably the third time I tried to crank it.
The last one was completely mangled.

Then clean everything up and try it again before pulling it apart again.

When you installed it, did you center it in the tunnel, checking both the top and bottom? This is important and often isn't done. If not centered properly, the guide can be crooked and the chain will run against those lips down it's sides, knocking them off.

GuideMount.JPG

Honestly, I don't think the factory even bothered doing this because most of the old guides I've seen were put in crooked, lol. Here's some, 3 out of 4 were obviously cocked and not centered .....

OldFrontGuides.jpg

OldFrontGuides7.jpg

When you installed it, did you center it in the tunnel, checking both the top and bottom? This is important and often isn't done. If not centered properly, the guide can be crooked and the chain will run against those lips down it's sides, knocking them off.

View attachment 262371

Honestly, I don't think the factory even bothered doing this because most of the old guides I've seen were put in crooked, lol. Here's some, 3 out of 4 were obviously cocked and not centered .....

View attachment 262375

View attachment 262376
I did the top the best I could,
Wasn’t thinking about the bottom,
I already had the jugs on when I put it in .

Next time I’ll put that together first.

I snapped some of the peices I found in the sump,
And then snapped some off the old guide.
They act the same , brittleness & ease of breaking
From what your report, it seems to me that the pieces are leftovers from the old guide.

BTW, you might see the fine sparkles for a number of oil changes; I wouldn't worry about them.

Last edited:
Yep, my new starter gear got a little boogered up🤦‍♂️

Luckily the heavy spring from the old one is still good,
Gotta remember to stick it in the vice this time

Attachments

• IMG_4247.jpeg
    IMG_4247.jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 29
If that is the replacement spring and gear did you install it to the right of the original casting groove?

Front chain guide:
I may have done something different with mine and not sure if it was a good idea or not but I did it.
I used a borescope to align my front guide WITH the chain on the cam. My eyes may have been playing tricks on me but I felt like the chain was not in the exact center even after measuring the cam placement in the bearings. That's why I did it that way.

No, it won’t fit but I was just wondering how the sprocket grabbed it like it did. Putting it on the right side is what is called for on the new larger springs
That’s what I thought,

This other one is already has already made a strange noise too.
I need to get a new battery and try it again, it seems to drain it quickly using the button.

I’ll probably just kick it 95 percent of the time anyway,
Not like it’s difficult to do.

Yes, the battery in these is rather small and doesn't hold much reserve power. Sustained cranking will run it down quickly, especially in colder weather. Because of that, I routinely kick mine for the first start of the day in colder weather. Once the oil is warmed and thinned, the electric starter spins the motor much easier.

Back