Different pilot settings

MacMcMacmac

Failed Hedonist.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone had to have different pilot settings cylinder to cylinder to combat overfuelling? I put a clean set of plugs into my bike last night and went for about a 30min rip. Left plug is sooty and black but dry. Right plug is dry and "dusty" caramel color. Both carbs are set to 1.75 turns on the pilot. Bike is running rough and jerky up to about 4000rpm. No ignition lead issues as far as I can see. Does it on stock ignitor and GN 250 box. It once backfired loudly and quit coming off a stop. Left pipe will puff black smoke if given some throttle with the choke on. Fuel height in the bowl is spot on. I installed new choke plungers a few weeks ago in an effort to remedy this issue, just in case one was leaky. Both carbs have new fuel float valves and are not overflowing. The left cylinder actually dropped out with carbon fouling a week or two ago.

I'm scratching my head on this one. Carbs are BS34s with stock jetting, Uni filters, Sportster mufflers.

Thanks.

I had an issue with a set of carbs where the right side was running much leaner than the left. I tried everything I could think of, had them apart several times and finally solved the issue by swapping out the RH carb body. I have no idea what the issue was, just that making that change fixed it. Both carbs had been cleaned with all passages clear, floats set, new seals, Yada Yada.

That's very possible. BS34 carbs with UNI filters and different, more open mufflers should need bigger jets.

Back