Hard shifting and slipping

geeskeet

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey Fellas,

So I’m kind of at my wits end with my ‘82. I got this bike as a basket case and have since assembled it and replaced a hand full of parts while in the process. Last night I replaced the clutch springs and bolts which solved my slipping issue, but I’m still having my shifting issue.

The bike is very hard to shift, I really have to get on the shift lever to get it to shift. I’m also having an issue of what I can only explain as a “neutral” in between 2nd and 3rd. I did readjust the clutch after I installed the springs.

Looking for any advice on what to look at next. I’m jonesing to take this thing out and don’t feel comfortable until the shifting it sorted.

It's probably the clutch. It has to be adjusted just right. If not, shifting will be troublesome. Shift forks could possibly be worn or bent. Get the clutch right.
I’ll end up opening that side again, but I did want to mention when shifting from 1st back to neutral it’ll “shift/click” up to N but won’t actually be in neutral and I’ll have to let off and pull up again; same happens going up to higher gears as well. Did a bit of searching here and there’s a star great behind the clutch basket that can be adjusted, I may take a look at that and report back.

Is the shift shaft moving freely?
The lever should move up and down and snap back to the middle position.
How does it shift with the engine off while rocking the rear wheel?

Is the shift shaft moving freely?
The lever should move up and down and snap back to the middle position.
How does it shift with the engine off while rocking the rear wheel?
Shifts perfectly fine in 1st, N, and 2nd with the bike off rocking the rear wheel. The shift lever also snaps back like it should.

I agree with Marty. It sounds like a clutch issue. I was having slipping issues but all my fiber plates spec’d out good however seeing as they had been soaking in oil for 50 yrs I went ahead and swapped them out. No issues now and shifting is smoother with a much deeper friction zone.

Back