Just another XS2

The work you are doing is spot on. I am following your progress. Hoping to assemble my 1972 XS2 this Spring, but I have much lower standards than you (it has been in a bin for over 20 years, and I am just too anxious now to wait another summer to build a concourse level machine like yours :)
Pics kind sir! We need to see pics.

The work you are doing is spot on. I am following your progress. Hoping to assemble my 1972 XS2 this Spring, but I have much lower standards than you (it has been in a bin for over 20 years, and I am just too anxious now to wait another summer to build a concourse level machine like yours :)
Yes start a thread on your bike.

Just a little update. Of the 3 things I needed to do to it I've only got 1 done. Ben busy with the 81. I did managed to get the seat ordered. Seat came in today. Had to see how it looked on the bike. Knocked the dust of a spare take and side covers and put it all on the bike. I think it's ok.
Seat is nice. All metal pan, All the mounting points were perfectly positioned for the hinges and latch. It's low profile so not a lot of cushion.
1713480239088.png
1713480311582.png

1713480402327.png

XS2 central here at the moment.
1713480493103.png

Got the front brakes working. That meant it was time for it's first test ride. Didn't go far just .6 miles in front of my house. Impressions. It was very good, motor felt great definitely tell it's a 750. Got on it a few times in 1st and 2nd and it responded very well. Clutch works very nicely, it's a @gggGary 8 plate Alto. Can definitely tell the seat height is lower as expected. Not a touring seat but with a AirHawk it should work on rides longer than around town. Couldn't tell much about the tires or suspension as it was all straight line on a fairly smooth road. All that stuff went as it should.
What I really wanted to know was how the front brakes felt. Let me back up a minuet, I put a 73 front end on it so I could use a dual disk set up. The caliper and rotors were straight foreword, just bolt them on. Decided on the MC to use was a aftermarket replacement for the original. The challenge was the brake lines. Wanted to use a splitter so I only had one line going to the MC. I just could not find a good place to mount a splitter. So I decided to take the easy way out and use 2 brake lines. Ordered some lines of off Amazon. First one to come in was 100cm long. Checked it and it was too long for the right side but good for the left. Few days later a 90cm line came in. It looks ok for the left side. Then just had to wait for banjo bolts. Thread pitch is different between the MC and calipers. They came in yesterday. Put it all together and it will work.
Not totally happy with it. One is aesthetic. The lines do not hang equally. If I go with a 10cm longer line it will hang lower than the right. The other is because one of the lines loops almost as high as the top of the MC because of the indexing of the ends. I thought it may cause a problem bleeding them.
1714259559699.png
1714259468101.png

I started bleeding them yesterday. Bleeding was a challenge. First mistake I made was not bench bleeding the MC. I just hooked it all up, filled the MC and opened the bleeders. Didn't take all that long and I had fluid coming out of the bleeders. Yes I kept the MC full doing this. When I had fluid coming out the bleeders I stated pumping the MC. No pressure but air coming out both holes in the MC, the big one and the little one. Pump the MC a dozen times, hold it and open a bleeder. Would get air and fluid. Could not build pressure. Was still getting bubbles in the MC. Called it a day.
Today changed tactics a little. Hooked clear lines to the bleeders and routed them up then down. Theory was if air came out and I didn't close bleeder soon enough it would suck fluid back in and not air. Used it before and it works. Still no joy. I then decided to get the MC at the highest point in the system that I could. It worked. After a hour I pumped the MC and built pressure.
Buttoned things up and went for a test ride. Front brakes work great. Definitely more power than 1 disk as expected but not over powering and has good feel.
I'm a happy camper tonight.
1714260876980.png
1714261135712.png

Last edited:
Back