Just another XS2

GLJ

Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I should have started this thread a year ago. But I knew it was going to be a slow build.
Over a year ago I decided to build another bike. I looked around at what I had and found a titled XS2 frame. That's a good start. Since this is going to be a sorta resto-mod not everything is going to be 100% XS2 stuff. Found a 73 front end, added that to the pile. Kept looking and came up with most everything to build a bike.
Started with the frame. Had it sand blasted brought t back home. Decided to do some reinforcing on it. Made some pieces to reinforce it. Welded them in. Then had the frame and swing-arm powder coated.

1702422276350.png
1702422327083.png

1702422504211.png

Cleaned up the front end parts and assembled. Went with chrome headlight and fork ears. You may notice the fork legs are not polished. I decided to do a no polish build. Aluminum pieces will be bead blasted and then Cerakoted. It gives a different type of finish, I like it.
Built a set of wheels. Since it's a resto-mod I got new aluminum rims and stainless spokes.
1702423822370.png

Next up gauges and controls. Put new face plates in the speedo and tach.
1702424426083.png

1702424495306.png

Tires, fenders and a few other things and had a roller.
1702424631624.png

Next thing was engine. Had a 75 engine with around 10k miles on it. Wanted a 750 but with stock jugs. All it took was a heat gun and sleeves came out. Could have had machine shop remove them but I wanted to see how hard they were to get out. Not hard at all.
1702424882933.png
1702424925983.png

Sent parts to machine shop to have the 750cc sleeves installed and bored/honed for the pistons, also had the a valve job done on the head. While that was being done cleaned up the engine. Replaced the sump filter and installed a @gggGary 8 plate clutch with new springs plus a few other odds and ends. Got parts back and assembled.
Installed engine. As it sits now. First start tomorrow.
1702425731509.png

Attachments

• 1702423247517.png
    1702423247517.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
Well dang Greg……you’re nearly done with this bike! 😳 I like the look of the aluminum finish you’ve got going, and the double disc front end and chrome headlight and the custom exhaust and………I’ll have to look around some more to see what else you’ve done. 🤔
Nice build!

She started up pretty easy. One minor mishap. I had used a wrench on the rotor nut to position the crank when I static timed the Boyer. I forgot to remove the wrench. Oops! :banghead:Oh well I have spare parts. Engine sounds good. Need to run it through a few more heat cycles and re-torque the head. Then install the head steady, also recheck the valves may have one a little loose. Charging system works. I really like the sound of the exhaust. Not near as loud as I thought it would be. Might be a little louder than the full size commandos on my other XS2.
All that's left is the seat (going to order after the 1st of the year), tank and side covers (arrangements made for paint) and front brake lines. The brake lines are going to be a little bit of a challenge. Need to figure out where I can mount a splitter or take the easy way out and run 2 lines. I have all winter. I'm sure I will find some other odds and ends to take care of. Going to piddle around with it the rest of the week and then start working on the 81 Special I picked up a few weeks ago.

1702506074937.png

I totally mis-read that. I understand what you’re trying to do now. ‘74 up had the union for the brake lines and pressure switch. ‘73 just had two lines joined together. That’s what I was thinking about.

I noticed this morning I had a oil leak coming out of the right side cam cover. Popped the cover off and sure enough oil in there. Figured it would be the cam seal. It wasn't the cam and seal were dry. Strange. Checked the 3 screws and they were tight. So I cleaned it up and ran it for awhile. Took some time but sure enough there was a leak. It was coming out of the upper left opening where the screw that holds the point plate would be if it was on the left side.

1702681121979.png

Took the housing off and everything looked good. The head and housing spotless as they should be. They were both bead blasted. The gasket looked good. Hmm what to do. Got a new gasket greased it up and put it back on. Started it up and it took awhile but the leak was still there, not as bad but still a leak.
1702681173982.png

Very strange. Decided to try something. Put a screw in the hole and snugged it up. No more leak so far. WTF. Is it the housing, it looks ok. The head looks good. 2 different gaskets leak in the same place. For now I think I'll leave the screw in. I'll put on my things to do list to get another housing cleaned up and ready to put on.
1702681759887.png

Also removed the carbs and cleaned them up better. They are a set I had on the shelf that I had used a couple of years ago.
1702682462664.png

Tomorrow recheck the valves, retorque the head and put the head steady on. Then run it some more. If all looks good it can come off the lift and in a couple of months get finished.

Hate to post this but I have a minor setback. Was going to button it up today. All I had to do was check the valves and retorque the head. Simple enough. Was going well until I got to the last valve. Intake on right side. Like the others a little loose. So I reset it. When I went to tighten the nut up after adjusting it I knew I had a problem. The nut went from snug to a mushy feeling then tight. Checked the valve clearance and it was way loose. Long story short, the threads are pulling out of the rocker. If I back the adjuster out I can see small pieces of threads in the threads of the adjuster. I can't take the adjuster out because it's a E-Foot adjuster. Amazing there is twice the amount of threads in the rocker as the nut on the adjuster I would think the threads in the nut would give before the rocker. Not the end of the world. Glad it happened now and not next spring. So I'll get the motor ready to come out tonight, pop it out tomorrow. Then take the cam cover off and replace he rocker. Maybe put it back in Monday. Or I may drink beer tonight and work on it tomorrow.

I had problems with a leak on the other side the left side.
I used Permatex on both sides of the gasket I know you gentlemen dont like Chemicals
But they are manufactured and have been sold for 50 years and Are shown sometimes smeared on at TV
shows .
I know you are experienced ..but the saying back then in the " Last Owner " segment was that old surfaces can be slightly uneven and warped or so.
Should work without if torqued to the right value . But some gaskets are thin
I do believe Permatex can be a solution in some cases. Here on the forum was a Florida man not getting the Carburetor flange tight. Without it .

Hate to post this but I have a minor setback. Was going to button it up today. All I had to do was check the valves and retorque the head. Simple enough. Was going well until I got to the last valve. Intake on right side. Like the others a little loose. So I reset it. When I went to tighten the nut up after adjusting it I knew I had a problem. The nut went from snug to a mushy feeling then tight. Checked the valve clearance and it was way loose. Long story short, the threads are pulling out of the rocker. If I back the adjuster out I can see small pieces of threads in the threads of the adjuster. I can't take the adjuster out because it's a E-Foot adjuster. Amazing there is twice the amount of threads in the rocker as the nut on the adjuster I would think the threads in the nut would give before the rocker. Not the end of the world. Glad it happened now and not next spring. So I'll get the motor ready to come out tonight, pop it out tomorrow. Then take the cam cover off and replace he rocker. Maybe put it back in Monday. Or I may drink beer tonight and work on it tomorrow.

If those rockers came as a set, I'd be sorely tempted to replace all of 'em. Can't see chancing that another might be weak.... and possibly do the same two or three adjustment down the road.... or while running.

If those rockers came as a set, I'd be sorely tempted to replace all of 'em. Can't see chancing that another might be weak.... and possibly do the same two or three adjustment down the road.... or while running.
They came in the head that I used. All looked like OEM Yamaha.

I like that idea ..If one is gone the others can have been over tightened The reason untouched vehicles gets higher prices.
We have an expression for it .No clue what it can be called in English Machine translation " Screwed to Pieces "
At least inspection once in there

Kinda late in updating this. It's all back together and running. Went back through the other 3 followers and checked them. Loosened up the nuts and tightened them, made sure there was no snug then mushy then tight feeling. Found a good replacement for the bad one. Installed air boxes and it's off the lift and in a spot where it can rest comfortably until I get back to it.
1703718621345.png

Back