• Candy green and white a la XS1

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Candy gold and white a la XS1

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Candy red and white a la XS2

Votes: 17 32.7%

• Total voters
Same dealer, new game....

I used to think the only way to paint over chrome is taking it to a chromer's and have 'em take the chrome off. That's before I discovered these... 60 grit flap wheel. Takes chrome down to a paintable finish like a knife through butter.

View attachment 323996

View attachment 323997

Handed off to the painters... 2 part epoxy.

View attachment 323998

View attachment 323999

This'll be a custom color. Stay tuned, you'll not wanna miss it. ;)

Twinsies once again. No longer identical twins, but kindred spirits nonetheless.

View attachment 324000
I've had good luck running chromed parts through the bead blaster just enough to rough it, followed by 2k self etch then 2k urethane primer.

1714271637443.png

1714271665868.png

1714271685584.png

Pro tip time...

You can get really anal about vinyl placement... measure, mark... measure again, scribble out the old marks and pencil in new.... trying to be exact can be maddening. Hint; you don't need to be exact, jus' close enough so no one notices... :cautious:
I find a reference point, in this case the white line across the bottom... and use painters tape to "stack" lines until it becomes it's own reference point "about" where you want the vinyl. Run another side to side across the top and Bob's your uncle.

1714332722288.png

1714332742456.png

1714332770390.png

'Nother tip... after you squeegee the vinyl on and peel the top off, use a pencil point flashlight and shine across it at as shallow an angle as possible. Any air bubbles that need removing will stand out like a sore thumb by the shadow they cast. Here you can clearly see the grain of the vinyl. Yes, it's shiny, but even shiny will have a grain. If the grain cast's a shadow, a bubble will look like a mountain. Got lucky on these, so unfortunately no bubbles to shoot a pic of.

1714333091397.png

Last tip... a personal preference actually. Use a soft squeegee. Most vinyl kits come with a hard squeegee. They work good when you first apply the decal. After you peel the paper off however, they can scratch the vinyl.... and pretty badly in some cases. A brand new bondo applicator does an excellent job of chasing out bubbles without scratching.

1714333358271.png

1714333377113.png

Good thing I took a second look... found a bubble. The problem is, if you don't take care of 'em now, you're screwed after you clear coat. Soon as the sun warms the tank up, it'll grow to the size of Mt Everest.

1714335908238.png

1714335957120.png

Pro tip time...

You can get really anal about vinyl placement... measure, mark... measure again, scribble out the old marks and pencil in new.... trying to be exact can be maddening. Hint; you don't need to be exact, jus' close enough so no one notices... :cautious:
I find a reference point, in this case the white line across the bottom... and use painters tape to "stack" lines until it becomes it's own reference point "about" where you want the vinyl. Run another side to side across the top and Bob's your uncle.

View attachment 324319

View attachment 324320

View attachment 324321

'Nother tip... after you squeegee the vinyl on and peel the top off, use a pencil point flashlight and shine across it at as shallow an angle as possible. Any air bubbles that need removing will stand out like a sore thumb by the shadow they cast. Here you can clearly see the grain of the vinyl. Yes, it's shiny, but even shiny will have a grain. If the grain cast's a shadow, a bubble will look like a mountain. Got lucky on these, so unfortunately no bubbles to shoot a pic of.

View attachment 324322

Last tip... a personal preference actually. Use a soft squeegee. Most vinyl kits come with a hard squeegee. They work good when you first apply the decal. After you peel the paper off however, they can scratch the vinyl.... and pretty badly in some cases. A brand new bondo applicator does an excellent job of chasing out bubbles without scratching.

View attachment 324323

View attachment 324324

The trend in surfboard glassing went from these Thalco rubber squeegees

IMG_8433.jpeg

To the yellow bondo style squeegees.

The problem with the bondo style is they are too hard and pull too much resin and don’t easily conform to subtle curves the the rubber ones.

The solution is to soak them in acetone for a day. You can get those bonds squeegees nice and soft.

Back