What have you done to your XS today?

20240426_163022.jpg
First of the Second Tank of Gas
20240426_163056.jpg

Close Up of the Yellow Flowered Plant - Mustard?
Today in SW Ontario things were blooming, so it was a good day for a ride to further test out the windshield mounting. Seems fine, a bit more movement in the brackets than I would like.
Surprised to see this yellow field and knew it was too early for canola to be blooming so stopped to check it out.
Looks like farmer planted a cover crop, mustard I think, that will be ploughed in later before main crop is planted to improve the tilth of the soil.
Pleased with the way the '77 is running.
Now I have to cut the lawn.

The weather seemed right (today) so the XS came out of hibernation this afternoon. All looks well after a long sleep in the cold shed. Forecast is rain tomorrow so I’ll spend some time putting the rear sets, shifter etc back on. I’ll also get the battery in and see if I can spark her up. Tight squeeze in the garage right now but hopefully not for long as the Honda is up for sale now. I don’t expect a quick sale because I’m looking for top dollar for the bike.

Looking at the XS always puts a smile on my face.😀

IMG_4634.jpeg
IMG_4637.jpeg

Isn't it fun pulling down an engine that has been 'REBUILT'!
Cam chain re-riveted so tight it struggled to turn.
All of the clutch spring screws heads stripped.
More sealant than a silicone factory everywhere.
Cam chain runner separated.
Bolts & nuts either loose or way too tight.
Lucky it wasn't fired up.
Looking at all the parts as I pull it apart it looks like a good candidate for some fiddling.

Isn't it fun pulling down an engine that has been 'REBUILT'!
Cam chain re-riveted so tight it struggled to turn.
All of the clutch spring screws heads stripped.
More sealant than a silicone factory everywhere.
Cam chain runner separated.
Bolts & nuts either loose or way too tight.
Lucky it wasn't fired up.
Looking at all the parts as I pull it apart it looks like a good candidate for some fiddling.
Add to that missing parts in the starter gearbox on the left side, the clutch assembled with washers and spacers in the wrong order, the sump cover attached using some sort of glue that almost took some TNT to get off... Yeah, mechanic wannabes are so much fun to follow.

Add to that missing parts in the starter gearbox on the left side, the clutch assembled with washers and spacers in the wrong order, the sump cover attached using some sort of glue that almost took some TNT to get off... Yeah, mechanic wannabes are so much fun to follow.
And one of the clutch basket fingers is snapped off.
Gearbox & selectors are nice though.

One side done. Before and after rear sets.

Since it’s early in the season, the only bike I’ve ridden this year is the Shadow. Sitting on a cruiser is like sitting in a Lazy Boy. After I installed the one rear set, I sat on the bike and did it ever fell odd. Legs had to be tucked up and I needed to reach forward for the bars. I think one can get spoiled for comfort on s cruiser. I’m hoping the Moto Guzzi will feel “better”.

IMG_4404.png
IMG_4650.jpeg

2nd side

IMG_4656.jpeg

Last edited:
While I’m laid up I’m trying to get to a few of the small things that are on my list. Installed the correct dash on the 75. It didn’t have gauges when I got it but I was able to source all the correct pieces from other bikes. Funny how you just swap a few bulbs around in the holes and the instrument harness would work for pretty much whichever bike Yamaha used them on.IMG_7107.jpeg

Put my tracker on the lift to make it a bit more user friendly. The plan is electric start , low pipes, rewire and CVK carbs. Fitted a set of Delkevic headers matched to a no name muffler off Ali Express. Fitted a set of GPZ 500 carbs and filters. They are just sitting there the plan is to build a battery box to contain the the battery and other bits needed to run an electric start.
aaaa tracker.jpg

Today has barely started here, I just finished my coffee, rain has stopped so I can walk over to my shop and see how much damage I can do today. :)
Or how big of a dent I can make in my ToDo list on the X.
I am hoping to install the front brake, make a new line with new custom fittings, fill it up and perform ops check to satisfaction. (front brake didn't work when I got the bike so I had to disassemble it, clean it, rebuild the caliper, paint it and reassemble)
I would also like to make a rear brake switch bracket to attach the switch and run the wires. Otherwise she won't pass inspection.
I also need to make a bracket for and install the speed hall-effect sensor for the digital speedometer. It's going on the right front fork, right by the brake disc where I will glue the li'l magnets in place.
There is plenty more to do, I just cannot remember all of it right now. But I have a spreadsheet with all the tasks that need to be carried out. It isn't short, trust me. :)
Well, off to the shop.

Well I sparked up the XS today. First poke of the electric start button and it fired right up. I’m sporting new hearing aids so I was certain I would be hearing engine noises never before heard. The self fulfilling prophecy - the engine once warmed up, at idle was chattering away. I stuck my head close to the engine snd thought ah ha - timing chain adjustment. I let the motor warm up more and got out my tools. I adjusted the chain tensioner in and out and couldn’t eliminate the noise. Then I thought it may be the valves, but I was certain I adjusted them last fall before storing it. I buttoned the tensioner back up and thought I’d have a go at the valves in the afternoon.

I was about to shut the bike off when the 💡 came on in my head. I reached for the front brake lever and gave it a squeeze and the noise was gone. I should have remembered this from last year 🤬. With all the extra bits on my front brake setup, they rattle around when the bike is on the center stand. I’m pretty sure they don’t make as much noise when it’s on the side stand.

Oh well, lesson learned (again). Occam’s Razor…

20240428_182255.jpg
Just Drift 'Em Out!
It's been 4 or 5 years since I last put a head on, and I spent far too long today trying to cut out the expired camshaft seal, until I realized (remembered) that one knocks the old seal out with a socket and what little crud left is easily cleaned.
I've got all the threads cleaned out so tomorrow the rocker box goes on.
20240428_184711.jpg.

Back