where did you ride on your xs today?

360 kilometers today, plenty of good roads to fang it on, biggest issue is the lunatic HD riders who only ride on weekends in a straight line, give them some corners and they're all over the shop...my bloody shop.....view is looking down the Pioneer valley

IMG_3395.JPG

This morning I set out to ride the famous South Wales "Rhigos Road" (The temperature was 6 C and a blue sky). Here I am at the top lookout point - I am the one holding the camera:
Rhigos.jpg

From the top the road then winds down into the Rhondda Valley with all its coal mining heritage. The Rhigos Road is known for its fantastic scenery and the opportunity for the boy racers to show off.

I got home yesterday after a pretty brutal day of meetings and blah, blah blah...and it was 14C outside and - HOLY SH!T - the sky was....sunny!

So, I wheeled Betty ('78E - Miss November 2023 calendar girl) out of the garage, turned on the petcocks and waited the obligatory 15-20 seconds for the float bowls to fill, push the enrichener lever down and hit the button - and she lit right up (not bad after a 5-month sleep). I rode about 20-25 km over to buddy's place to pick up a part that he had taken delivery of for Big Sue (his office is in the US, so I often have US-origin stuff shipped there). We had a nice chin-wag and then I set out for home again.

IMG_1729_a.JPG

He stopped me before I had gotten far down the driveway because he noted that my taillight was out. Fortunately, he had a good supply of 1157 bulbs and I was back in business in a jiffy. I have just ordered a batch of 1157 (tail/brake light), 1156 (turn signals) and 194 bulbs (instrument panel) so that I can do a full replacement of all the lights on Betty and on Big Sue just as I had done on the redoubtable 1976 XS650C Lucille :yikes: after she kept blowing ;) bulbs nearly every time I went out.

Since I replaced all of Lucille's :yikes: incandescent bulbs with LEDs just after I got her on the road, she's never blown...any of them (which is kinda sad I guess...if you're a light bulb).

Anyhow, my first ride of the season was really good and Betty ran perfectly. Isn't it odd how XS650s run better and smoother after just a few miles down the road?

Pete

Bike looks good Pete.:thumbsup: Have a small gasket leak between the header and muffler by the looks

Yes @Skull, there is a leak there - but once I get into my barn, everything will be fully sorted.

Sure is a beauty Pete, happy you took her out! Nice photo by the way. 😉

Thanks Bob - that means a lot coming from you.

Pete

Back