wideband sensors

what about the depth to which the sensor needs to extend into the header? I see that there are bungs of different heights and I would like to not disturb the flow of gas much
Good point. These thimbles are not small. Sweet spot is in middle of the pipe, but that spot is not in the center of the thimble.
Just keep it hot and place them where you can.

On the GS, I fitted a Bosch wideband and a controller from 14.7 in Canada. The installation is just hooked up temporarily until I finally nail the SU down properly and can be easily removed and transferred to another bike.
The bung is about 6" after the entrance to the Delkovic muffler, where it seems to get the right conditions. This particular sensor has a heating element in it, which means that it doesn't have to be as close to the exhaust port as the older ones. The controller has a warning light if the sensor is too cool.
So far it seems to have been providing me with good info, which tallies with expectations after I make a change, but who knows how accurate it really is.
Plug chops bear it out so far, though.
muffler with sensor nov2020 01.jpg

They are pretty accurate on the rich side. Lean side is not as, but we are tuning for max. power WFO/WOT or just heavy load.
Fat is where it's at.
Fuel economy, etc. can be, and should be tuned without wide range O2's.
Unless you wanna keep the catalyst at peak efficiency.:laugh:

Back