‘78 Special Engine Rebuild - info to support

Duck749

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am finally at the point of deciding its time for a rebuild: plastic in oil, oil leaks, etc. Bike runs, well I didn’t actually ride it at all this year. Has over 25k on odometer and every other part on bike has been rebuilt or replaced from tracker build.

I have watched some YouTube’s (Australian guy) that has gone through some of the teardown process. I am not looking at big bore kit (have Triumph with it already), just a refresh for reliability and longevity. Honestly also considering selling in near future so with rebuild might be good. I own Haynes manual but looking to see if there is another workshop manual or site with good instructions on tear down and rebuild?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3841.jpeg
    IMG_3841.jpeg
    324.7 KB · Views: 19
I think most of us agree the factory shop manual is about the best. Should be links in the tech section for free downloads, or if you prefer to have the actual book, watch eBay. You can usually find one for under $20. A member here named Jim did a terrific topend rebuild write-up. Do a search and I'm sure it will come up.

Back