“Performance valve springs”

Was looking to run a shell 1 cam. That is also on the parts list to be purchased eventually.

I just was asking because these are listed as “performance” springs, and they are 1/4 of the cost compared to Kibblewhite springs. Just didn’t know if anyone had any success and/or horror stories running them.

Thanks for the response signal!

They are probably exactly the same as mikes XS - trying looking for reviews on theirs and mostly likely it would apply to the ones you’ve found on sale.

Do not cheap out on valve spring!
Get them, check for nicks, clean them in alcohol.
Place in oven 300F. for an hr.

cliff

Valve springs can be critical. There are no drop-in "performance" valve springs, no matter what unscrupulous vendors claim. You need specs on installed valve spring height, you need to know what installed valve spring height is, and you need to know how to measure it. Kibblewhite and RD both make fine springs, but the installation is not a drop-in process. I've used RD springs for years after taking Joe Minton's advice to use OE springs with a Shell #1 cam. Cupped an intake valve. Installed RDs and had no more grief. Take anything written by Minton with the whole shaker full of salt.

Last edited:
Valve springs can be critical. There are no drop-in "performance" valve springs, no matter what unscrupulous vendors claim. You need specs on installed valve spring height, you need to know what installed valve spring height is, and you need to know how to measure it. Kibblewhite and RD both make fine springs, but the installation is not a drop-in process. I've used RD springs for years after taking Joe Minton's advice to use OE springs with a Shell #1 cam. Cupped an intake valve. Installed RDs and had no more grief. Take anything written by Minton with the whole shaker full of salt.
Solid advice here. RD is a gold standard as well!

I have installed R/D and Kibblewhite springs in XS's. I found the Kibblewhite instructions a lot easier to follow with regard to setting installed height and checking clearances.

Yeah, RD's instructions couild be better. You have to take a good look at the valve cup. Realize that it needs to be supported below by shims. That's also how you set the installed height.Nothing special needed for shims, common washers of correct thickness will get 'er done.

Back