03 xs650 custom, fender clearance help?!?!

dillpickle75

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have an 03 xs650 custom and looking to make my first bobber. I hate buying things straight off the shelf because I like being different. :banghead: My question is, how much clearance should I allow between the rear fender and tire for suspension travel? I don't want the fender to be hovering way above it and look ridiculous but also obviously dont want the tire rubbing the fender! Any help at all, any known websites to help or anything would be GREATLY appreciated!:thumbsup:

Hey guys, I have an 03 xs650 custom - - - My question is, how much clearance should I allow between the rear fender and tire for suspension travel? - - -

Hi dillpickle and welcome,
that's most likely an '83, eh?
Allow for ~1/2" above the tire at full shock compression and don't forget the nuts and bolt tails that hold the fender on.
What I'd do is a hugger.
Mount the fender on struts from the swingarm so it moves with the rear suspension.
Of course, you gotta pull the thing to do a tire change but beauty takes sacrifice.
Polished aluminum fenders and a black paint job for the classic Vincent look.

Sorry XVS650 lol told you i was new chief. Im used to everyone just calling it a vstar 650. I havent measured the amount of travel, not really sure how to? I'm green as green with bikes but have built a few car engines before so not mechanically stupid i guess you could say

Sorry XVS650 lol told you i was new chief. Im used to everyone just calling it a vstar 650. I havent measured the amount of travel, not really sure how to? I'm green as green with bikes but have built a few car engines before so not mechanically stupid i guess you could say

Hi dillpickle,
firstly you are most welcome to this list and most folks here will try to be helpful.
For detailed information about the Vstar 650 you could sign up here:-
http://www.vstarforum.com/
To measure your (or any) bike's rear suspension travel.
First measure the clearance between the rear tire and the fender as the bike sits.
Next, remove the rear shocks so the rear fender can drop down onto the tire and measure how far the wheel moved.
That's the maximum distance the suspension can move and the minimum clearance that a fender should have.
Unless you build a hugger, of course.
There's also the alternative of looking up the Vstar's rear suspension movement in the owner's manual or on line or even ponying up ~$30 for a Clymer's manual.

Back