06 CBR600RR Front End Swap (Forks and Tress only)

RCGRT

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
**Added a few more update pictures 02/01/12 (brake rotors)**

**Added a few more update pictures 01/12/12**

Hey guys, I picked up this front end on CL a while back, I've wanted to do this for a while now and finally got some time to get it installed. Just thought I'd share. Reason for this front end mostly was because of the very low price tag it came with as well as being mostly complete. I'm sure there could a been a few easier ways to do this, but I wanted to stick with using what I had, not buy any additional parts, be able to do the work myself, and not turn it into a winter long project...it only took about one night after work. So here is what I did...for the most part....

*Pressed the CBR stem out of the lower tree, and it does have to be pushed out thru
the bottom of the lower tree, it has an OD shoulder, and the lower tree a c-bore to
accept it.
*I had hopes that the mating diameters of the two stems would be the same, but as
luck would have it the CBR stem was about .010" bigger than my XS stem, which
meant either the XS stem, or the lower tree would need a sleeve.
*I turned down the XS stem about .050" per side, did NOT cut the area where the
bottom bearing race sits on the stem
*Made a sleeve to fit the XS stem
*Bored the new lower tree to fit (press) the XS stem w/sleeve
*Pressed the two together.

Aside from needing to make a spacer bushing for the stem on top of the upper tree (it stuck out of the upper tree a little less than 3/8") that was about it. I was able to use all of my original bearings/cups/races. Just need to make adapters to fit the brake rotors to the wheel now...

Attachments

• IMAG1639.jpg
    IMAG1639.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 1,107
  • IMAG1645.jpg
    IMAG1645.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
Thanks! It dropped a little lower than I needed, but I'll work with it. I'm still not sure what bars I'm going to run yet....

5234006295_e7642e9ffd.jpg

bonnie-pic2.jpg

I think it'd be a shame to waste that front suspension on a bike that isn't designed with corners in mind.

Posted via Mobile

That looks really sweet man. I love the look of modern components and parts blended with old school technology. I used a CBR600RR rear shock on my stretched mono shock conversion. Keep up the good work and also keep the pictures coming!!!

5234006295_e7642e9ffd.jpg

bonnie-pic2.jpg

I think it'd be a shame to waste that front suspension on a bike that isn't designed with corners in mind.

Posted via Mobile

Ha, yeah I totally hear you, I had an RC51 for a while, and do miss the corners....
I actually picked up the front end to do a street tracker or cafe build, but I'm just not going to have time to do all of that as of now, so I just decided to put it on the frame I'm already running. Nice bikes btw...

That looks really sweet man. I love the look of modern components and parts blended with old school technology. I used a CBR600RR rear shock on my stretched mono shock conversion. Keep up the good work and also keep the pictures coming!!!

Thanks man! Yeah I'm liking too so far, I tore it all down to do some motor work and possibly put some decent paint on it as well. I'll take some more pics as I have time.

I'm not real familiar with the forum, but I'm wondering if I should just start a build thread, the bike has already been built for the most part, but obviously I'll be making a lot of changes as I go back with things...either way I'll post some pics of what I do...

Folks here like GOOD pictures, you can't post too many. Post them as you do things and we'll follow along. :)

I should know what kind of wheels those are, but it escapes me. They look good-the rear looks clean. Can you fit a small enough rear sprocket?

John

Folks here like GOOD pictures, you can't post too many. Post them as you do things and we'll follow along. :)

I should know what kind of wheels those are, but it escapes me. They look good-the rear looks clean. Can you fit a small enough rear sprocket?

John

Absolutely, I really enjoy browsing the pictures myself...Will do!
The wheels are of off a Honda Ascot, it's like an 83 or 84 I believe, another CL cheap find.
The Ascot rear sprockets are much larger if I remember correctly, it's been a while since I looked at it. But I could not find an off the shelf sprocket to fit that wheel, and also that small, so I just made my own, went ahead and dropped one tooth from stock while I was at it.

Attachments

• IMAG1688.jpg
    IMAG1688.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 142
I actually picked up the front end to do a street tracker or cafe build, but I'm just not going to have time to do all of that as of now, so I just decided to put it on the frame I'm already running. Nice bikes btw...

What I'm saying is your can still do a tracker or cafe build with a hardtail. You can't just go all stereotypically part-bin chopper build. Think of a pillion pad, fiberglass seat, etc. Those pictures I posted are exactly that...tracker and cafe HARDTAILS.

Yeah, I actually really like that look, there's another bike I really liked, it came out in the Horse a while back, and I think someone posted a picture of it in the Most unique (strange) XS pics thread, (post #14 I think) I believe they called it "Chicken Salad"... cool looking bike..I really like the monoshock seat shock he set up...

Hey, guys, while I'm thinking about it and have time...my bike was basically built last year-ish, but I've torn it all down to do this front end, I'm also going to do some motor work, electrical, and repaint it...all and all, it's almost another build...should I start a build thread? Or should I just keep posting progress pictures here....

Here are a few more pictures of my progress on putting it back together.

I'm going to run the same rear brake I had already set up the first time, but I did clean some stuff up, including sand blast the rotor adapter just for a different look.

Attachments

• IMAG1712.jpg
    IMAG1712.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 156
  • IMAG1711.jpg
    IMAG1711.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 134
  • IMAG1710.jpg
    IMAG1710.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 188
  • IMAG1704.jpg
    IMAG1704.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 147
  • IMAG1701.jpg
    IMAG1701.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 127
  • IMAG1699.jpg
    IMAG1699.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 147
More pictures...I'm going to try my hand at some blue and white pin striping to match that little star I attempted, once I'm a little further along...I'm far from an artist so we'll see how that goes...

Attachments

• IMAG1717.jpg
    IMAG1717.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 158
  • IMAG1718.jpg
    IMAG1718.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 247
  • IMAG1716.jpg
    IMAG1716.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 148
  • IMAG1721.jpg
    IMAG1721.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 160
  • IMAG1713.jpg
    IMAG1713.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 142
Haaaaha...yeah it does, I considered that since I'm planning on going with a pamco and pma this time around, but I don't know I might leave it for.... I don't know something, or I might just rip it off....haven't decided yet

I finally got a chance to make the adapters to put the CBR rotors on the Ascot wheel.
I also threw my seat back on and mini sissy bar...

Attachments

• IMAG1925.jpg
    IMAG1925.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 167
  • IMAG1928.jpg
    IMAG1928.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 170
  • IMAG1930.jpg
    IMAG1930.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMAG1931.jpg
    IMAG1931.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 194
That is a unique use for the Special rear "handle"! I like it.

Thanks! Yeah I like it too, and it still serves as a great handle for moving the bike around. The lower backside of it is where my rear light and plate goes as well. As a matter of fact, the original rear light still mounts right up and sits pretty nice, but probably NOT what I'm going to run this time around...

Back