Wanted - 11.5" - 12.5" shocks for XS650

akira

XS650 Member
Reaction score
'78 XS is a little tall for rider.

Female rider:
5'5"
120lbs

Current shocks measure 13" eye to eye. They are Progressive shocks that read 1353 95/130. Contacted Progressive and they say that no shorter direct application is available.

Looking for shorter shocks 11.5"-12.5"

Saw those Monza 11.5" on MikesXS, but thought I would try here first!

Anyone have some real clean stock SPECIAL 12.5" shocks?

unnamed_zpsnpvg8czy.jpg

unnamed-1_zpsseee0ujv.jpg

Last edited:
could shave seat foam, get shock laydown adapters. A lower stance is hard on parts that drag when you corner...

Stock special shocks are 12" or 12.5" I think. Should be bolt on.

I was measuring shocks this morning due to the high rear stance on my '77, and the stock Specials are 12.5. The standards are 12.75 on the '77 but it feels a lot higher for some reason- and seat height is one of the reasons.

I've got 10.5's on the '83, very low stance....flat footed plus, but i think I'm scraping the center stand on turns ....something's going on there.

Summing it up....trimming the seat foam and a set of Special shocks may be the cure all.

Welcome to the forum and nice bike!

I happen to have a set from my '79 Special II. PM me if you are interested.

Going to try out the Special 12.5" ^^^thanks Brassneck!

Anyone know if the current Progressive shocks and the stock Special shocks will use the same diameter mounting hardware? I recall reading something that referenced Progressive using different hardware..

Hey Akira,

Just sent you a PM...but the mounts on the bike are part of the frame, so these shocks will literally bolt right on. You'll use the same washer/nuts that the progressive's use as those are likely the stock ones. Progressives come with various shims to fit the grommets to a range of mounting posts on different bikes.

Hope that helps/makes it clearer.

Back