135 main jet. How many turns? 1980

projectxs650

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Trying to figure this out, read my chylmer manual but I think its throwing me off. my bike is a 1980, my main jet screw says 135. I'm running pod filters, and a stock exhaust with no baffle.

I've looked and I think I'm just getting turned around and around. i would definitely appreciate a straight forward answer. from what ive understood, its 3 to 3 1/2 turns out.

48-0129.jpg

Main jet has no effect on the idle mix screw. The main jet and the needle will interact, though.

The Pilot jet does have an effect on the idle screw, when you have the right pilot you'll be at the 3 to 3 1/2 turns you mention. If you're more turns out, you need a bigger pilot. If you're not enough turns out, you need a smaller pilot

Alright, so its the pilot that will be 3 - 3 1/2 out. Not the the main?

In that case, it would be alright just to the screw the main jet screw in all the way? to no specific tightness, just enough for it to stay in/put.

You don't "turn" jets to adjust them, they get screwed in tight. The only way to change how much they flow is to change them to a different size. That 135 stamped on your main is it's size. That's already one bigger than stock (132.5).

You have lots and lots and lots to learn about carbs. Many don't know much, you know less. Go to the tech section and start reading. Learn a bit before you go screwing something up.

Read the carb guide a bunch.

I read it a bunch, got frustrated with trying to tune my bike, then figured out that it was electrical and nothing to do with the carb. Now I'm running stock carb, PMA, Pamco, pods, straight pipes with baffles, and it's running great.

I did learn a lot about carbs though.

5 twins hit it, but he's sick of answering carb questions... pay him enough mind, but no more. ;)

Hit up the Tech Section, find everything about carbs there.

jets need to be seated tight in the carbs. Idle mix screw on your '80 is on top under an aluminum plug that needs to be removed to access it. Idle speed screw is on the left side carb.

Find 'Tech' in the top banner of the site. go there.

Go there.

Read the carb guide a bunch.

I read it a bunch, got frustrated with trying to tune my bike, then figured out that it was electrical and nothing to do with the carb. Now I'm running stock carb, PMA, Pamco, pods, straight pipes with baffles, and it's running great.

I did learn a lot about carbs though.

I think I'm going to be in those same shoes. The more I do research and the more I route out the issue, I'm starting to think that my problem is more with the electrical issue and. Of the carbs.

5 twins hit it, but he's sick of answering carb questions... pay him enough mind, but no more. ;)

Hit up the Tech Section, find everything about carbs there.

jets need to be seated tight in the carbs. Idle mix screw on your '80 is on top under an aluminum plug that needs to be removed to access it. Idle speed screw is on the left side carb.

Find 'Tech' in the top banner of the site. go there.

Go there.

Thank you, that's what I was really looking for. I had a feeling that I was looking at the wrong thing.

Also:
If you have a can of carburetor cleaner handy, when you get them back on the bike and have it idling, spray carb cleaner around all the joints, gaps, seals, throttle shafts, etc. to check for air leaks. If it's running fishy, but when you hit one spot with carb cleaner and it straightens out for a few seconds, you've found something else to fix. You may have already knew this, but it bears repeating.

Back