16 inch tire question

tmikeyb

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I just put a 19 inch Dunlop K70 front tire on my X2 model. I was planning to put an 18 inch K70 on the rear. But my 18 inch rear wheel rim is pretty rough. After cleaning up my 16 inch rear wheel, it looks very nice. So, I thought, I'll just buy a 5:00 X 16 K70 and use the 16 inch wheel. But is appears that they don't make a K70 that size. So, now Im wondering if there is a 16 inch rear tire that would perform well with the new K70 front tire.

The tire that's mounted on my 16 inch rim right now is a Harley Davidson Dunlop, size MU85B16. That's a size nomenclature that I'm not used to seeing. What common size does that translate to? That old tire just barely clears the frame and chainguard, by maybe a .001 or .002. What would be the next narrower size, with the same height?

I could be wrong, but... I think the Harley Davidson Dunlop is the same as the Dunlop 404. I run this on the 16" rim on my '81 special ll. It is a 130-90-16 67H. A decent tire although it is more modern/sporty looking than the k70 you are running up front.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but... I think the Harley Davidson Dunlop is the same as the Dunlop 404. I run this on the 16" rim on my '81 special ll. It is a 130-90-16 67H. A decent tire although it is more modern/sporty looking than the k70 you are running up front.
Similar tread pattern, but I don’t think it is the same. It seems I looked some time ago. I think there’s more than “Harley Davidson” on the sidewall. BUT, don’t take my word for it on this one. I do have 404 on three bikes and an XS11 Special with “Harley-Davidson” sidewall markings.

Back