18" rear wheel conversion ??

vaquero

XS650 Member
Reaction score
First time poster! So much great advice and beta to be had!!!

I am attempting an 18" rear wheel conversion on my '80 XS650S. I have a wheel from a '79 XS400. It is a mag. I am using the larger axle from the 16" wheel (19.8mm) and have found bearings that will fit the new wheel with the larger axle. I am trying to track down seals, collars and dust covers. It turns out that the seal, collar and dust cover from the non-drive side of the old 16" wheel will fit on the drive side of the 18" wheel. Done!

So that leaves me with trying to track down a seal, collar and dust cover for the non-drive side of the 18" wheel. Specs would be: 19.8mm axle, 47mm OD of seal (and bearing). Since I don't have a collar yet, I also don't have an ID for a seal.

Anyone know how to search for this? Everything is cross referenced by OEM part #. I have access to a lathe, so the collar and actual dust cover COULD be done that way, but $$$ and a PIA. Would rather just find an existing scenario.

Thanks!

I converted a 18" mag from a xs500. On the brake side, I used the stock xs650 spacer that goes between the bearing and caliper mount plate. I can't remember where I found the right seals, so I'll try to track down a receipt and get back to you. With 2RS bearings sealed on both sides and a grease seal the bearings are well protected, so I'm not using a dust cover.

Back