180 out with waste spark?

So going by the pics, your cam is either correct or 180° out.... at the cam.
Based on the fact that it's a wasted spark system, the cam timing will work as it is.
The fault lies with the ignition or carbs.

So the cam being 180 out would explain why my timing light fires my timing mark straight up? Is there anyway to flip it externally ? BTW i am aware of the horror story from these ignitions . I just have so many new parts i just don't know where to start. I wish i could post a video for what the bike does while cranking

Thinking out loud
I have almost never had carburetor problems and never on Both sides at the same time.( Stock carbs )
Ignition on the other hand much problems
I would consider setting the ignition later se if it helps
Is there a battery and if so is it OK Low voltage can cause ignition problems

So the cam being 180 out would explain why my timing light fires my timing mark straight up?
No. IF your cam is 180° out, that means it's 360° out at the crankshaft. Since this is a 360° parallel twin that fires a cylinder every 360°... your cylinders will fire correctly.... even if opposite of what they're supposed to..... they'll still work correctly.

Your timing light firing when the timing mark's straight up means your timing is 180° out at the crank. That's not caused by the cam.
180° at the crank is 90° of camshaft rotation.
Your cam isn't 90° out. It's either 180° out or it's correct... neither of which will throw the ignition timing off.

How would i resolved my crank from being 180 out? I’d love to be able to properly use my time marks for ignition tuning

How would i resolved my crank from being 180 out? I’d love to be able to properly use my time marks for ignition tuning
I don't have an answer for you. IF everything your telling us is correct, and I believe it is, your problem is with the Mikes ignition system. You can do some research here on the forum on that iggy... but I've never messed with it, so I don't really have any answers for you... sorry.

You can put the rod in 180* out and everything works fine it just changes the firing order of the points to the opposite side.

Last edited:

Pull motor apart.

But like Jim has clarified for you, crank doesn’t seem to be out.

You can put the rod in 180* out and everything works fine it just changes the firing order of the points to the opposite side.
No points. What is 180 out is my cam shaft. Flipping the rod in 180* won’t change where my timing light in firing my mark at

No points. What is 180 out is my cam shaft. Flipping the rod in 180* won’t change where my timing light in firing my mark at
Correct.
Just a quick run through on the four stoke cycle engine.
There's 720° of total crankshaft rotation per cycle and 360° of camshaft rotation.

So lets start at 0° The piston is at TDC and both valves are closed.
The piston moves down to BDC... that's 180° of crankshaft rotation. The camshaft has rotated 90° This is the power stroke.

At the bottom of the power stroke the exhaust valve starts to open.
The piston moves up to TDC... 360° of rotation... one full circle. The exhaust valve is closing and the intake starts to open. This is
"Valve overlap." The camshaft has completed 180° of rotation. this completes the exhaust stroke and starts the intake stroke.

The piston goes down to BDC and the intake valve is closing, completing to intake stroke. The crankshaft has completed 540° of rotation and the crankshaft 270°

The piston now moves up. this is the compression stroke. Just slightly prior to reaching TDC the ignition fires and the fuel/air mixture ignites

At TDC the piston starts moving down on the power stroke. At this point the crankshaft has rotated 720° (two complete circles) and the cam has completed one 360° circle. This completes one cycle of a 4 stroke/cycle engine... one complete rotation of the cam and two complete rotations of the crankshaft.

Never hurts to refresh your mind on how this engine works..

Being a 360° parallel twin one cylinder operates 360° opposite the other.

Correct.
Just a quick run through on the four stoke cycle engine.
There's 720° of total crankshaft rotation per cycle and 360° of camshaft rotation.

So lets start at 0° The piston is at TDC and both valves are closed.
The piston moves down to BDC... that's 180° of crankshaft rotation. The camshaft has rotated 90° This is the power stroke.

At the bottom of the power stroke the exhaust valve starts to open.
The piston moves up to TDC... 360° of rotation... one full circle. The exhaust valve is closing and the intake starts to open. This is
"Valve overlap." The camshaft has completed 180° of rotation. this completes the exhaust stroke and starts the intake stroke.

The piston goes down to BDC and the intake valve is closing, completing to intake stroke. The crankshaft has completed 540° of rotation and the crankshaft 270°

The piston now moves up. this is the compression stroke. Just slightly prior to reaching TDC the ignition fires and the fuel/air mixture ignites

At TDC the piston starts moving down on the power stroke. At this point the crankshaft has rotated 720° (two complete circles) and the cam has completed one 360° circle. This completes one cycle of a 4 stroke/cycle engine... one complete rotation of the cam and two complete rotations of the crankshaft.

Never hurts to refresh your mind on how this engine works..

Being a 360° parallel twin one cylinder operates 360° opposite the other.
Thanks for the break down. Im Going to look into the ignitions side of things

Depends on what you mean by 180° out.
180° measured at the camshaft is OK because like you said, it's a wasted spark.
If you mean 180° at the crankshaft, that would put the pistons at BDC when it fires.

Do a site search for Xcharge ignition and you'll find most folk consider 'em junk. Worse than junk actually....
Boyer Bransden makes an excellent system that I use on my 1974. Please know that this system will not work on a re-phased engine. I believe Hugh’s Hand Built also makes an ignition system.

Well i flipped the rotor and it fired, I’m not sure how b/c it looks like the magnets are nowhere near the pick ups but ya it started for a moment. Which is music to my ears, maybe not to neighbors. I have the classic starter gear issues and i need it gets a MOSFET Reg for my lithiums battery. But I’m getting closer. Seems like my 2-1 throttle cable is hanging the slide open because it ran away on me when it statered

Attachments

• FC9A5C8F-EC39-4C62-B77C-2D382ECC9080.jpeg
    FC9A5C8F-EC39-4C62-B77C-2D382ECC9080.jpeg
    283.8 KB · Views: 40
Back