Wanted - 1970-73 project

Jim D

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Last night I was at the local Yacht Club for their Halloween Party. got to talking with a friend about motorcycles he showed me a photo of his first one, a Gold 1971 Xs650. He said he wished he'd never sold it.

So I have decided that I want to get a 70-73 Model, most likely a project, with the preferable one being the 1972 model which has the ultimate British Bike look with electric starter. The alternate is to piece together on from parts, especially the Fuel Tank, and lighter Frame, which are the most unique parts, if you have any you want to part with, let me know.. I know I can use some of the easier to get later parts on it, like wheels and motor without destroying the looks. Please let me know what you have. If I was rich, I'd just buy a running one, but, a a Geezer with limited cash, the project appears to be the way forward.

I live in NW Washington State which needs to be taken into consideration. Jim 360-296-3940.

new xs3.jpg

That's gorgeous, love the green, very classy.. I'd forgo the starter for one like this. Would love to get some information about these early models from you, Please give me a call. I'd love to talk about it and and maybe see it on one of my occasional Seattle trips. Jim 360-296-3940

Here's what my 79 special looked like before the crash, been sitting since 2005 in a bad spot. Time to start getting parts and making it functional again.

Attachments

• IMG_0194_1_1.JPG
    IMG_0194_1_1.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 62
I have a potentially restorable 1972 XS-2 with a clear title down here in Olympia.

Its not real pretty at the moment, but certainly has potential.

Last edited:
I have a 1972 xs2 xs650 rolling project bike for restoration.
And I have a 1971 xs1b xs650 restoration bike, just needs the top end of the motor and a few other small parts.

I have purchased a 72 project close by, unfortunately it is missing the Tank, seat and mufflers, taken off by a would be Choppist who lost interest. The guy I am buying it from got it from the Chppist and saved it from further humiliation. I am in touch with the owner of another partial 72 roller that has the Tank and matching sheet metal I hope to know by next week if I am able to buy it.

Meanwhile, if I am not successful buying the roller, I will need a 70-72 seat or at least a seat pan, that I can build one up off of, a Tank and Mufflers, I can find some later vintage Mufflers that will fit, locally, that's not a big deal. The nice 72 Tanks or even average ones are ridiculously expensive, I did find supposedly, proper, beater Tank that is barely affordable, for what it is, and doesn't look right to me. 73 tanks of varying condition are available and not too pricy so this could be a backstop for a while, The fact is that I want a 72, I like the looks and colors, tank needs to be the right type, usable or restorable..

I would appreciate any help or advice you may have to be able to assist me in sourcing these parts. You guys are wonderful in caring about what I am doing and helping me out. Jim

Last edited:
I found them for my 79, not for the 72. I have been trying to get a return message from a guy that has some of them, but despite several inquiries, he hasn't got back to me. Down to the point of thinking of trying to put a Triumph or Yamaha DT Tank on it. Please let me know if you knpw of any pieces, 360-296-3940. I still want your project, Let me know if you want me to pick it up or make a payment. I have been working on finishing repair and weather proofing to the old building I am going to put it in. JIM

I have a potentially restorable 1972 XS-2 with a clear title down here in Olympia.

Its not real pretty at the moment, but certainly has potential.
Not trying to jump Jim's thread, it looks like he found a bike already. Vincentdfan if you still have the 72 please contact me as I may be interested.

Are you still wanting to buy a bike that's mostly done and running? what's your budget.
Not trying to jump Jim's thread, it looks like he found a bike already. Vincentdfan if you still have the 72 please contact me as I may be interested.
How much? and can you send me some pictures. Thanks Tim

Are you still wanting to buy a bike that's mostly done and running? what's your budget.

How much? and can you send me some pictures. Thanks Tim
If you are replying to my post, I can go either way. A project bike is fine as long as it's all or mostly all there. I would also consider a mostly or completely done bike. My budget is quite flexible. That green 70 you have is super nice. My brother had one just like that in high school, I had a red 72 during high school and college.

Back