1971 for sale on Ebay

grepper

fiddle futzer
Reaction score
In a search this morning, I came across this gem and thought I'd share.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Yamaha-xs1B-xs650-xs-650-parts-bike-/140683421056

Looks restorable to me. 71s are pretty few and far between. Like he says in his ad, in MI it's pretty easy to get a title.

I bought a parts bike from YamaDon about a year ago. Real nice guy. He says he's really an xs1100 guy, but has a couple of sheds around his property full of bikes, including xs650s. He let me poke around his property and I almost bought a second bike from him, but he knows what his stuff is worth and we couldn't agree on a price.

He's in Grawn MI which is about 15 miles south of Traverse City (tourist area of upper Michigan). Made for a nice weekend road trip for me and my wife.

we've seen worse, right, guys? I hope it doesnt get parted, or even chopped, alittle tlc, and would be a great bike to have.
I got a friends 71 going last summer. Been sitting in his basement since 92. Couldnt get the points to work, threw on the pamco, and fired rite up! thanks, again Pete!
bike looks showroom fresh still.

The pipes alone are worth several hundred. Before the economy tanked more like $600. Who knows now, they don't come up often enough to have a "going value". Poor old bike. Good luck getting new fork tubes in that size unfortunately...

Why is there rust on the front forks lowers? I thought they were aluminum on all models.
I hope it finds a good home as well.

I don't know how the other years are but the 71 had chromed fork lowers. Doesn't really explain why that one leg is so corroded but it's cap and the fender (both chrome) aren't.

The front end of my 71 is sitting on a shelf awaiting the day it belongs to someone who wants to re-chrome it. Unless you're creating a museum bike you'll never ride I can't see putting that money into such a low performing part. You can get a much better, non-rusty front end for less money.

I wonder what his reserve is can't be to much higher. Kinda scary but tempting to look at it. 71 not much good for chopping because of frame. Lot o rust, locked engine. Some one would have to buy it knowing they would have to sink more into it than it would be worth if sold. At least in this economy. Kinda like my XS2

No title either. He mentions that Michigan is back in business of titling.... BUT you have to pay sales tax on NADA blue book value. wonder how THAT works on old XS's? I did a search and NADA has some pretty serious values plugged in there.

1979 Yamaha XS650-2F TWIN

Pricing
Excellent $3265
Very Good $1885
Good $1095
Fair $750
Poor N/A

Excellent $3800
Very Good $2845
Good $1845
Fair $1015
Poor N/A
The above are Nada prices for the 1971. They list poor as N/A. You probably could work with the state on this one. However excellent is only $3800. You all know it would take a lot more than that to get it to excellent.

Back