1972 Rescue Rebuild

I put a Radio Shack rectifier together and got the VR291 (AMC/Jeep) regulator that doesn't require the brushes to be insulated. Seems to be charging just right. Now it's been a little chilly to ride here and she sure doesn't like to start in these sub-30's we've been having.
I'm still having a little oil weeping from what looks like the head gasket, specifically the left hand side right under the spark plug. I put the torque wrench on the acorn nuts and got a little movement out of em. It still has the steel/rubber washers on the outside so I'm gonna try replacing those with some copper ones and see if that fixes it. If not I think it'll be time for a set of gaskets

I haven't ordered up the head gasket or washers yet but I've been doin some riding and after wrapping it up a little it started to backfire pretty bad. I popped the filters off and it looks like I got the carbs pretty far out of sync at some point. I bumped the idle up a few days ago and must have missed a turn on one side. Pulled the plugs while I had it apart and they were pretty sooty (picture). Buttoned it up and it still doesn't want to rev up smooth. When I got it warm it started to idle up and I had to hold the brake and let out some clutch to pull the idle back down.
Could this be a symptom of that head gasket leanin the mixture out or should I try bumping my main jets up?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 115
Here's what I heard in that post:

... Pulled the plugs ... pretty sooty ... Buttoned it up ... doesn't want to rev up smooth...

??? So, does that mean you put the fouled plugs back in there?

... should I try bumping my main jets up?

If those plugs are dry/sooty, it may be running too rich already...

Fair evaluation. I didn't have a chance to get new plugs so I cleaned them up a little and put them back. The reference to bumping up the mains was because of the popping and backfiring with throttle. I was thinking the sooty plugs could have been from the warmup with the enrichener/ choke on

Back