1972 XS2 Pamco timing woes - (old subject I know)

wernwilk

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am a first time poster but long time member here.
I have a 1972 XS2 which sat for a while, on reviving her I noticed there was no spark.
I opted to replace the old charging and igntion system entirely and ordered a PAMCO igntion system and entire charging upgrade from Mikes.
I fitted it all as according to the instructions, all went well.
I tried start up and it was extremely hard to start, I adjustted the backplate to get the timing as I tried starting and eventually got it to start with the backplate all the way over to the left, (CCW direction).

I put the tming light with it zeroed out on a plug lead, very consistant light etc but the timing is a mile out.
I have it fully adjjusted CCW and the timing mark is still way way off the firing mark - its is approx 30 degrees past the firing mark.

I have removed and checked all parts I assembled, all seem good. I attempted to hold any play out of the rotor when tightening as suggested in other posts regarding this issue. No imporvement.
I even took fo the main crank rotor and checked the woodruff key, all good.
I'm confident both the rotor and advance mechanism are located correctly on the advance rod. (All new supplied with the kit).
The carbs have been fully cleaned and serviced. Air filters are clean, new plugs and fresh fuel.
I checkd the valve clearances and cam chain adjustment for peace of mind, both good.
I did set the motor at TDC and checked the cam chain for stretching, the pin on the advance mechanism was ever so slightly behind 12 o'clock, I understand this shows some evidence of cam chain stretch, its pretty minimal however.
There are some loud bangs when attempting start up. To get the bike to eventually run i have to throttle it and eventually it will catch, it will die on its own after 5 mins of idling then not restart.
I am draining the new battery I put on it and am probably wearing out the new starter gear I fitted at the ame time!
Any ideas please gentlemen, (and Ladies if any are reading this).

Many thanks.

Not saying this is your issue, but I just had a problem where I thought my timing was off by about 30 degrees. Turns out I knocked the adjuster on the timing light and it was "advancing" by about that much, so it looked way off. Not saying that's your issue.... just saying ... make sure your timing light doesn't have an "advance" dial ... and if it does ... make sure its' at zero.

Not saying this is your issue, but I just had a problem where I thought my timing was off by about 30 degrees. Turns out I knocked the adjuster on the timing light and it was "advancing" by about that much, so it looked way off. Not saying that's your issue.... just saying ... make sure your timing light doesn't have an "advance" dial ... and if it does ... make sure its' at zero.
Thanks for the reply, the timing light doesnt have the advancer on it.
I appreciate the messgae though.

Back