1973 - 1978 Yamaha TX650 XS650 wheels swapped to a 1980 Special 2?

whtahtefcuk

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

Brand new here, brand new to this world. Super excited to do a scrambler on a 1980 xs650 Specila II.

I see on ebay some real nice wheels. these are the "1973 - 1978 Yamaha TX650 XS650 wheels".

What do I need to learn to see if I can make these work? Or will they bolt on, no prob?

Thanks

Hi Whatthefuck, try having a look around on this forum - there is a lot of information on which wheels will fit which years. Best of luck, Raymond

Hi, ( i wont try to replicate your handle),

80G SII. Chrome spoke wheels 19" front/16" rear.

73 rims are chrome on steel, 19"front, 18"rear.................74-79 Standards have 19" front/18" rear, alloy rims with, commonly called, mud catcher rims, or w type.

No problems or any modifications changing from your 80G SII wheels to 73-79 standard wheels. Straight swap. You will need to use your front brake rotor, (off the 80), if you buy a set of rims/wheels 73-76. These years had a different rotor than the 76-84 years but the rotors interchange on the hubs, (73-83), so again no prob

Thanks 650Skull,

That has just been my user name for years, apologies if it is off color.

Thanks much for the info. Currently My bike has the 16 inch back wheel.

So it sounds like I can feel confident spending $650 bucks on eBay knowing I just need to reuse my front rotor. All else should work just fine?

Have a good one.

Wow, you guys like to spend it, lol. I buy whole bikes for less. Personally, I try not to give more than $25 or $30 for a wheel. I know most likely it will need about another $100 thrown at it (new spokes, maybe bearings too) so I don't want to be too much into it up front.

Wish I could buy wire-spoked wheels for my XS.

Wire wheels, 18" rear and 19" front, would really make the bike a nice XS2 replica. But . . .

there are far fewer around here in the UK. Have looked a few times on ebay and you pay quite a lot of money for odd wheels in poor condition - it seems like a big risk to shell out for a front or a rear, hoping you might later find a partner, and knowing they will have to be fully rebuilt with new spokes and rims. The rear is the bigger problem, because if I wanted to go to a wire spoke rear with a drum, would need to find a matching drum hub as well.

So it remains an aspiration not a plan.

There is another way to look at this and save some money and lean a skill..............The hubs on the 80G SII are 36 spoke................. Dismantle the wheels, buy a set of rims (and spokes if needed), and relace the new rims to the hubs..........

On rear tire swapping......
18" will go on the stock 16" setup all day long.
16" to a stock setup 18" rear bike not so much, unless the chain guard is missing or replaced with the guard from a 16" rear wheel bike. (Why won't this sob turn !?!?) lol

Back