1973 TX650 survivor

seven4eight

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Wanted to drop a line and introduce myself as well as say thank you to the site and its members for all the info in here. I was one of the lucky ones (I think) to find an original unmolested bike that i am looking forward to working on and enjoying. Plans are to keep it stock and ride it. Here is a link to another forum that has the story on how I came across it, with some before and after pics.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=883390

Needless to say, I am very excited about the bike and its condition and although I have another project in line ahead of it, I'm sure I will be tearing into some of the basics soon and doing a bit here and there. I'm not in a huge hurry since the bike has been in a basement since the 80's, taking precautions with the top end and all that.
Here are a few pics for those that dont want to click the link. Thanks again for all the info so far on the site, looking forward to getting this thing back on the road this summer
- Seven4Eight

picking it up
IMG_2684_zpsa741d0c2.jpg

after a quick wash
IMG_2692_zps77a57fd4.jpg

That is indeed, a very nice find.

If I may suggest:

Go through the brakes. That old brake fluid can't be any good. The brake hose wasn't designed to last 40 years, more like four.

Do the regular tune up stuff. Adjust the valves, cam chain, points, replace plugs etc.

Rinse the tank out with some fresh gasoline. If it's not rusty in there, you're done. You might have to clean the carburetors to get it running properly.

The rubber bits are as hard as stones by now. Rubber handlebar bushings, rider peg bushings, peg covers, etc., you can replace. Much of it is available from Yamaha.

If that thing was mine, I wouldn't do anything to the cosmetics I couldn't fix with polish and a rag. It appears to be the track you're on. That looks like a fine motorcycle. I like it!

Thanks- agreed on the listed suggestions. It's been in storage since the 80's, every single thing is going to need attention. Will be an ongoing project, I'm currently busy with a CL350 and have a CB500 staring at me in the garage. Unfortunately I'm very familiar with the needs of these basement finds.

Nice bike. You are lucky to find one that good of shape. If it were my bike it would be top billing the other project would be next. :thumbsup:

Looking good! My 73 is close to that shape but it's taken a lot longer to get that far. Thanks to Jerm for his big boost on my project.

Looks like you have an original tank with the badges, cool!

Very nice find. Having just done a resto on a 77D I can tell you that anything made of rubber or pseudo rubber is shot. Not a big deal but it needs to be dealt with. Sounds like you plan to keep it original, not a bad idea for one that clean.

roy

Very nice! Good to hear you're keeping it stock, they just look really right to me. :thumbsup:

Back