1973 valve control? Question

nanoonanook

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a front brake lever going to the left side front valve cover. It appears to retard the valve movement. Can anyone explain what the purpose of this is and if I can simply replace the cover with a standard cover?

It's the compression release featured on the 72 and 73 engines to aid the newly added electric leg. The lever also operates the starter. Yes it can be removed and the cover replaced with a plain one.

Yeah you will either still need the lever or have to add a starter button somewhere. I am not sure if they upgraded the starter in 74 or just decided the compression release was not needed??? I have one on my 73 and like how they look.

hey, ok, so I confess to be a newb..... Thanks again for your time. Does the valve control lever act as a starter button some how? Can you explain this to me........ Sorry I'm jnto the honey j.d. And am trying to rationalize this in my little brain........ Tks

Yes the handle bracket has the starter switch built into it. You can see the switch and and the wires if you look at it under the throttle.
Go enjoy your Saturday evening and put the wrenches down....

no worries mate! Wrenches have been put to bed for a while now.... Bottle is the focus now. Strange to have the starter switch built into it....... I'll look at it again tomorrow if jack is nice to me that is. ;>)

Back