1973 XS650 bobber build

Adpartsman

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am going to try and attempt to do a bobber build thread on my XS650. I have been primarily into hotrods and vintage cars the last 20 years. I happened to catch a thread on a car site of a person who built a XS650 bobber. After I seen that thread I thought the XS650 bobber was the coolest thing I had ever seen. Shortly after that I hit craigs list, ebay, etc. One day I stopped by a small local motorcycle repair shop and they just happened to have this 1973 XS650 in tucked away in a corner. After looking it over and not really knowing what I was looking at I ended up buying it with a few conditions with the owner. One could I get a title? he didnt have one. He had to put the carbs back on and get the bike to fire up. He said it ran when it came in to the shop. Long story short I was able to do both. Here is a picture of before and after of todays strip down work. i already bought a TC Brothers hardtail frame and plans are to get that welded on later this week.

Attachments

• stockxs650A.jpg
    stockxs650A.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 143
  • stockxs650B.jpg
    stockxs650B.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 160
  • stripped XS.jpg
    stripped XS.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 204
i'll be following along asking questions! i'm picking up a 77 roller tomorrow with bobber plans. please take alot of pictures of the hardtail install beacuse i honestly know nothing about bikes but i finally talked my wife into it, so here we go
-john

here is one last photo for the night with a BSA tank mounted on the bike as a mock up. Tomorrow I plan to remove the motor.

Attachments

• XS650 with mockup tank.jpg
    XS650 with mockup tank.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 231
I have built a few cars and trucks over the years but never a bike. This is my first attempt... I have to confess I have a good friend who built a harley bobber last year and I will be pulling from his knowledge on bike building. Yes I will try and get as many pictures as I can..

hellbilly, I prefer an ARC welder when welding frames. I do have both a mig welder but prefer to use it on sheetmetal and lighter stuff.

DAY TWO.. I got quite a bit farther then I thought today. My friend (Richard) came over and we pulled the motor out. Then we pulled out the new TC Brothers hardtail out of the box and looked at the detailed instructions. I have to say the instructions are very detailed and really good. I have had some aftermarket kit stuff come from big hotrod shops and they were not as detailed as TC Brothers provided. Kudo's to those guys! After reading the instructions we got out the sawzall and cut the frame. What I call a rough cut. Which means I will be doing a final cut before fitting the hardtail to the old frame. Then I spent the rest of the afternoon with a grinder cleaning up the tubes on the old frame.

Attachments

• cut bike1.jpg
    cut bike1.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 177
  • tcbro hard tail.jpg
    tcbro hard tail.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 128
  • motor on dolly.jpg
    motor on dolly.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 138
  • bike uncut no motor.jpg
    bike uncut no motor.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 129
DAY TWO: continued
Showing pictures of the old frame and the clean up! The last picture I have the hard tail just slid into the old frame. The plan is to make the detailed cuts tomorrow night and get the frames fitted for final assembly.

Attachments

• mock up frame.jpg
    mock up frame.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 170
  • frame cleanup 4.jpg
    frame cleanup 4.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 150
  • frame cleanup 3.jpg
    frame cleanup 3.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 135
  • frame cleanup 2.jpg
    frame cleanup 2.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 131
  • frame cleanup 1.jpg
    frame cleanup 1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 111
DAY TWO- My ADD
Sometimes I think I have ADD :), I got side tracked a little on my Stator cover. I was curious to know how hard it was to remove the yamaha logo from the stator cover. Since I had the grinder out cleaning up the frame I decided to see what I could do with the cover. Started out with a grinder and slowly worked the shape of the cover with the grinder until I had the yamaha logo gone. Then I used a 120 grit flap disc on a air grinder and took out a lot of the scratches. Changed over to 320 grit sand paper and then to 400 grit. I did a final once over with fine steel wool. I thought it turned out well and there is still plently of meat left on the cover. I plan to buff and polish at a later date. The pictures are in order beginning to steel wool finish. I plan to try this same method on the right side engine cover.

Attachments

• yamaha stator cover1.jpg
    yamaha stator cover1.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 117
  • stator after grinder.jpg
    stator after grinder.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 129
  • stator 320 grit.jpg
    stator 320 grit.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 109
  • stator 400 grit.jpg
    stator 400 grit.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 106
  • Stator cover no yamaha.jpg
    Stator cover no yamaha.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 127
i wasn't sure on which to use, i have access to both but i do cleaner work with the mig. alot of progress done in a short time and looking great! thanks for the detailed pictures! i called the guy about the roller i was supposta pick up yesterday and he informed me it didn't have a title. i guess i got a little excited when i found the bike i forgot to ask about the title. i decided to wait and call the local dmv because i really don't want to deal with a bonded title.

That title can be a deal breaker/hassle. In Kansas it was old enough to be considered an antique vehicle. Which means you can get a title on a bill of sale and a 50 state title search from the Kansas Highway Patrol. I still had to have the vehicle inspected before I could get a title. I did all of that before I put any money or time in the bike.

i'm really kicking myself... i called the dmv this morning and i would have only needed a bill of sale, i call the guy when i got off work and the bike was gone. i found a 1977 xs750 that has already been tailed, any big differences between it and the xs650 besides 100cc?? again i'm a noob!

where in kansas are you from? i lived all over johnson county for years and moved to arkansas 5 years ago.

hellbilly I dont really know much myself on the different models so I really can not help you on your question. I just centered on on the XS650 due to some research on the internet. I live near Lawrence Kansas.

Will post some pics in the next day or two. The hardtail is now welded up and the frame is back together!

i lived in lawrence, kansas from 3rd-6th grade (kennedy elementary) and went to south junior high for 7th grade moved to desoto after that.

i also lived in bigjimmy's neck of the woods in 2003-2004... in wacko waco,tx

Back